• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

US Shift Controller Install Questions

dodgemain

Hi,
I have been working on installing a 4L80E in my M998. Almost to the point where I can start installing the controller I got from US Shift. If anyone has any installation tips they would be great appreciated. My main question is how/where do I connect the Power Wire? In the manual it says "ignition-switched power wire." How does that apply to a HMMWV? The truck does have a 200 Amp generator. Has anyone found where to connect the tach wire? Also, can I start the engine without the controller connected? Want to start to fill the trans with fluid.
Thanks

richingalveston

I do not know about tack interface on hummer, The cucv requires a dakata digital ds1 controller to change the alt signal to a usable tach signal. not sure you can do this on a hummer.

yes you can start the engine, It just wont shift right without the controller

you may have to install a switch so the controller does not stay on and drain the battery. controller only needs to be on when engine running thus it normally connects to the ignition circuit.

In a hummer you may have to turn it on manually with a switch.

I have one installed in 1009 not hummer but was easy to install. You will also need throttle position sensor which goes on IP if you don't already have that.

Rich

ari

maby tap off of a power wire behind the instrument cluster since those turn on with the ignition so will your us shift.

Barrman

I am pretty sure the controller needs a constant 12 volt supply as well to keep its settings.

The computer will also need a throttle position sensor signal to know when to shift gears.

A 4L80E has 2 solenoids that control the 4 gears. Another solenoid controls the torque converter clutch lock up. Both solenoids off is 2nd gear. So, if all you have is second and reverse. then something isn't hook up correctly. I have discovered that it is ok to drive the vehicle with the main transmission plug unplugged. Just in case you need to move it before everything is done.

ari

I have a question did you use us shift TPS that they supply or did you go another route? if you did use theirs can you post a pic of it installed? I have been thinking about using their set up if I upgrade to a 4l80e

snowtrac nome

I remember the keep alive power went to the 12 volt positive post on the 1114's never had to trace out the ignition power it would also have to be 12 volt. a simple way to do it would be a voltage converter but a 24 volt coil relay with 12 volt switched power could do the same thing just think reverse of the cucv relay under the steering collumn

richingalveston

yes there is a constant power they recommend going directly to battery and one that needs to be switched for the controller.
The TPS goes on the side of the IP where the vacuum switch goes. you no longer need the vacuum switch. In fact you no longer need the vacuum pump once you get rid of th400

I don't know where to get tach signal from hummer.

dodgemain

I have a question did you use us shift TPS that they supply or did you go another route? if you did use theirs can you post a pic of it installed? I have been thinking about using their set up if I upgrade to a 4l80e
Hi,
I was able to use a OEM throttle position sensor. The part number is AC Delco 213-879. After removing the plastic cam and kick down switch the TPS was a simple bolt on. I added the military Packard wire connectors.
Thanks

Attachments

dodgemain

Hi, I have been working on installing a 4L80E in my M998. Almost to the point where I can start installing the controller I got from US Shift. If anyone has any installation tips they would be great appreciated. My main question is how/where do I connect the Power Wire? In the manual it says "ignition-switched power wire." How does that apply to a HMMWV? The truck does have a 200 Amp generator. Thanks
Hi,
Ended up following the wiring diagram in the manual. Once a guy I work with explained it to me it was very easy. Purchased a 24 volt relay and mounted it in the battery compartment.
Thanks

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks