• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USAF Strata Blue

JEB

Anyone have any opinions on where to get a correct match?
It's FSN. 15045

Several seem to think the Gillespie mix (also sold by RAPCO) isn't quite right in terms of color and it's not glossy enough.

Anyone have opinions on that?

How about LVP or other makers of specialized paint?
Or other custom mixed commercial color?

So, any other suggestions?

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would go with locally available industrial or automotive paint. Find the FS number and have them mix a quart for evaluation.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the Paint Information thread (post # 7)

1647207842569.png

JEB

So far I have a freshly painted sample of Rapco/Gillespie and PPG.
Both are on identical surfaces.

So far, The Gillespie is a shade or two lighter...maybe more of a gray tint.

PPG 17634 is closer to midnight blue.
Next week, I'll see what LVP is like.

JEB

Here is a collection of test strips.
The colors are tough to photograph , they seem to change color in every light,
but show the basic differences.
The labels are top to bottom.IMG_20220323_121835_hdr_kindlephoto-14802729.jpg

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a collection of test strips.
The colors are tough to photograph , they seem to change color in every light,
but show the basic differences.
The labels are too to bottom.View attachment 862527
I’m gonna be honest. We had trucks that were all of these shades. They were all just “kinda” the same.

JEB

wheelspinner

I agree. I grew up on Air Bases, and they all look pretty correct.
Back in the day, paints faded and I'm sure it did not help that a heavy duty work truck would likely not get the waxing or care a "Air Police" truck or staff car would receive.

I wanted to post these as a general guide to help others, maybe I can save someone the $75 bucks I spent to get the samples. :)

And it is worth pointing out, all are said to be correct...The RAPCO/Gillespie and LVP specifically say they are 15045. The PPG is the gloss equivalent...25045.

I got the PPG code off the internet, so Icould not personally vouch for its accuracy, but the older guy at the paint mix store made sense of It after I told him It was a Mil Spec color...otherwise he said, the same PPG numbers when applied to a different PPG standard would come out as a GM metallic blue. When finished,,on the computerized paint label it says it's a U.S. government fleet color "Strata Blue", so that shows the accuracy of the PPG number found on the internet. So sometimes, technology works.

It doesn't help that I did other photos of the same test shots and they look completely different in different light.
If you do a search, you will find someone posted photos of his M38 in RAPCO/Gillespie blue...and sections of the Jeep look completely different due to light and shadows which he kindly labeled.

So, I guess one should pick a favorite and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My air force jeep
Somewhere around the house in a stack of picture books, I have a picture of me at about 5 in a midnight blue peddle car like that. My dad had a 1950's "Delivery" that he had painted up that same blue color. Dad had painted both vehicles at the same time. My peddle car had been a fire truck and with old tired paint. Fond memory...

AND yeah, I know. Without pictures it didn't happen. Maybe I will be fortunate to find one tonight that can be scanned...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks