• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Usage Experience of Detroit Lockers in 5T

74M35A2

Hi all. I'm looking for known actual experiences of Detroit Locker usage in our 5t trucks vs open diffs. From my understanding, marine trucks were equipped with them. A lot affects this, so please no stories of how it ran in your buddy's 68' Camaro, your dad's 1978 Peterbuilt dump truck, or opinions of "it should" xyz.

Key points of comparison I am curious of are: cornering noise and behavior, drivetrain backlash during accelerator pedal position changes, tire wear, and actual realized traction difference.

I have acquired 2 units, and I am considering to install them. I don't mind doing the work to do so. My truck is 80% on road but when off I do go deep with it. Took nearly 4' of mud to get it stuck with open diffs.

Thanks in advance.

Csm Davis

Hi all. I'm looking for known actual experiences of Detroit Locker usage in our 5t trucks vs open diffs. From my understanding, marine trucks were equipped with them. A lot affects this, so please no stories of how it ran in your buddy's 68' Camaro, your dad's 1978 Peterbuilt dump truck, or opinions of "it should" xyz.

Key points of comparison I am curious of are: cornering noise and behavior, drivetrain backlash during accelerator pedal position changes, tire wear, and actual realized traction difference.

I have acquired 2 units, and I am considering to install them. I don't mind doing the work to do so. My truck is 80% on road but when off I do go deep with it. Took nearly 4' of mud to get it stuck with open diffs.

Thanks in advance.
You better install them they are to hard to come by. The trucks I have driven with them were not much different on regular ground, only when you get on the throttle in a corner or in the slick stuff.

sent from my decrepit fingers

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea agree with Mr. decrepit fingers AKA Csm Davis. I have them in my USMC 817's and no problems they do what they are built for. They were for off road and heavy stuff that does not do a lot of 90* turns. I try and use my forward speed in the turns without adding any fuel or foot off peddle. Sometimes you must stop and apply fuel in the tight turn but when working they release. Just go easy when in tight turns on payment till the truck gets straight.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is there a specific designation on the axle tag that says it has a locker? Or anyone know what the code is?