• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Usefullness of quick-drain petcocks on tanks?

Banshee365

Hey guy's. I've seen and heard alot about the quick-drain valves to replace the petcocks on the air tanks. Is it really a bad thing to have the air pressure sitting in the tanks when the truck isn't being used? A friend of mine said it's bad for the brakes to have the pressure on them all of the time. I just want to see if it's worth getting some of the valves and installing them on my truck.

-Kelly

rmgill

I just have quarter turn petcocks installed by the previous owner. Makes it easy to reach under vent them and see the amount of water and it's clarity. Usually I see mist from one and not the other tank.

JRBAMATEX

I have had this question also. Most of the time I just let the air off the system with the valve under the dash. Then about every five drives or so I'll actually get up under the truck and vent the tanks. I don't get a lot of oil and or water that way. I figure the pressure causes the water so as long as there is no pressure I should't be builing up water in the tanks. Or not much anyway. I'm not sure if this is good logic though. So I'm open to sugestions.

devilman96

The point behind draining the tanks is to get the water out just like any shop air compressor, if you leave it sit it will accumulate into the system and causes rust and corrosion. Water is cause by humidity in the air being compressed, re expanding and then cooling in the air system.

I am mulling over why constant pressure sitting in the lines would be a bad idea on the hydrovac and cant find one to tell the truth. There is not constant pressure on the brakes any how, don't forget these are air over hydraulic, not air brakes where your holding constant pressure on diaphragms. Maybe someone's got some more insight.

williamh

there is no reason not to leave pressure on the system ... it can't, won't hurt anything ... and yes the only reason for the quick drain valves is to make it easy to drain them .. cuz rust and crap going into you airpack or into the trailer is not good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks