• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using Chain-type Towbar Feet on Rockwell Axles

aboonski

Has anyone used the chain type towbar feet on their Deuce? I bought a set a while back and looked at the front axle to see where they might be placed. Lots of stuff in the way like brake lines and it really looks like they would interfere with the steering if placed incorrectly on the axle. I would think that the brake lines would have to be disconnected so that the chain could wrap around the axle without crushing the lines. The tow bar for this application would have to be very long - especially with a winch truck. The reason I am asking is that I am helping another member retrieve an M35A2 located in Louisiana and towing would be the backup plan in the event the truck would not run. Photos of a set of these in use would be super or an explanation would be fine as well. It's a long way to Palm Bay Florida!

aboonski

I'll check it out. These things are really heavy! I can use them on my CUCV and it looks like there's a bit more room to work with under the M1008. I don't even have tow bar yet - very expensive to obtain and ship!

aboonski

Thanks Kenny! Lavarok and I are heading out for Camp Beauregard Louisiana first thing in the morning to pick up a GL Deuce he won recently. We don't know if it runs yet but will find out sometime Wednesday morning. Looks okay in the photos but you just never know what you are getting until load-out time!

Barrman

Move the brake line a little and you are good to go. These are the only pictures I have that even show the tow bar hooked to the chain axle wraps. I got none of the wraps themselves.

There are 7 pin holes in a standard medium tow bar. I think this one is set on #7 or #6.

The bottom picture kind of shows how I mounted them to miss the steering. The tow bar and PTO shaft in the picture make it kind of confusing to look at. Sorry.

Attachments

Barrman

A 1-1/8" wrench is needed to tighten the wraps up. I used a combination wrench and it took forever. Might want to think about a deep socket for this. Also, soldier B can be a real asset when threading the chain around the axle.

aboonski

Pictures of towbar feet

Thank you Barrman for posting the photos of the chain towbar feet in use. I took the time with a die to chase the threads on each of the clamps because they were slightly messed up from shipment, etc. I'll bring a deep well socket set and my 18 volt Dewalt impact driver to make things easier and quicker. There are a lot of applications for these things and I hope to use them for the first time on our run to Louisiana. Looks like the easiest way to use them on the M35 is to remove the bolts that hold the brake lines to the axle, push the lines out of the way and run the chain around the axle and tighten up the bolt at the bottom once the links are in place. Amazing piece of engineering here!

Barrman

RE: Pictures of towbar feet

You got it figured out.

You can run a set of stick on lights or if using a MV to pull the M35. Connect into the rear trucks trailer plug, unscrew the blinker arm inside and all the rear truck's lights will work off the front truck controls.

Barrman

RE: Pictures of towbar feet

Also, Sermis, Boxcar91 and myself pulled 2 M35's with another 2 M35's out of OKC a week ago. Plan on averaging 25-30 mph for the trip. We were happy to get that by the way.

M1075

Re: RE: Pictures of towbar feet

Barrman said:
Also, Sermis, Boxcar91 and myself pulled 2 M35's with another 2 M35's out of OKC a week ago. Plan on averaging 25-30 mph for the trip. We were happy to get that by the way.
Glad you had a good recovery out of OKC. I am surprised you only could average 25-30, does that inlcude stops? What gear did you pull over the Arbuckle Mountains?

I am heading to Tinker this week to go get 2 more M818s.

Barrman

RE: Re: RE: Pictures of towbar feet

We could hit 45 down hill. Almost got 50 once even. 25-30 up most hills. I was in 2nd at 12 mph going up the big climb in the Arbuckle range. We had 2 M35's and 2 M105A2's for each set of trucks. Kind of heavy.

6 hours from Exit 130 to Texas. 6 more hours for the 200 miles to where Sermis lives and where the trucks stayed until yesterday. That was total time including 3 stops to turn the IP's up.

area52

feet needed

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any of these axle clamps they want to sell?

I know beltfed on ebay does but I would rather the money go to an SS person instead.

M1075

2 M35s and 2 M105A2s behind each deuce? Man, I thought I was crazy when it comes to road trains.

M1075

I wish I could have known Sermis was coming this way. He has some things I wanted to buy. :)

nf6x

Feral Engineer

Hmm, I don't think I'd use the chain clamps around the bumper instead of the axle. As I understand it, for a flat tow the tow bar would generally be attached to the bumper shackle mounts, and for a lifted tow with a military wrecker, the tow bar would be connected to the axle with the chain clamps, leaving the bumper shackle mounts free for lifting the front end with a chain or whiffletree bar.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Mark, thtat is the "correct" way to do it, but I have seen the chain clamps on the bumper too.

Barrman

You can go to the bumper, but it you do. Why are you not using the shackle mounts and the proper feet? My Gasser in the pictures above had no bumper to hook to.

Sermis has some of the chain axle wraps. Or at least he did a week ago.

M1075, we only had 4 M35's, 3 M105's and a M101. Each trailer rode in the bed of a truck while 2 trucks got pulled by the other 2. Being in a foriegn state and all, we didn't want to temp the authorities with a double or triple pull. Just over weight and under speed.