• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using lock washers

papakb

The general trend today is to go away from lock washers when assembling mechanicals. Between KEP nuts, Aviation nuts, and Thread Locking compounds they've been replaced as janother unnecessary cost reduction. Most engineers will tell you that lock washers shouldn't be reused although most people do tend to reuse them all the time. After their first use the sharp tangs that actually provide the locking action fold away and become less helpful with each reuse. Stick with Loctite Blue (medium strength) unless you never want it to come apart again and then Red Loctite (high strength) is the way to go. I often use Green Loctite on fasteners because of it's wicking action where it can be applied to already assembled fasteners.

Last edited:

Lothar

Come to think of it, I don't really like lock washers and don't believe they work very well. I just gained a whole column in my short of space bolt bin. Thanks for the idea!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The general trend today is to go away from lock washers when assembling mechanicals. Between KEP nuts, Aviation nuts, and Thread Locking compounds they've been replaced as just another cost reduction. Most engineers will tell you that lock washers shouldn't be reused although most people do tend to reuse them. After their first use the sharp tangs that actually provide the locking action fold away and become less helpful with each reuse. Stick with Loctite Blue (medium strength) unless you never want it to come apart again and then Red Loctite (high strength) is the way to go. I often use Green Loctite on fasteners because of it's wicking action where it can be applied to already assembled fasteners.
I'm definitely not an engineer, but the one I used to work for claimed "flat washers only" no lock washers - ever.

A lot of the things I built for him are still around.
Found some old blueprints with a sub-note on each page "no lock washers"

I asked about that one time and his answer was that they are more brittle than regular washers.
The brittle break more easily. When broken the nut is no longer against what it was holding...
Creating your very own unplanned failure

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm definitely not an engineer, but the one I used to work for claimed "flat washers only" no lock washers - ever.

A lot of the things I built for him are still around.
Found some old blueprints with a sub-note on each page "no lock washers"

I asked about that one time and his answer was that they are more brittle than regular washers.
The brittle break more easily. When broken the nut is no longer against what it was holding...
Creating your very own unplanned failure
My college diesel instructor was also against lock washers. He said he had never had a nut on a flat washer come loose where a lock washer would have done any better. Properly torquing the nuts was the important part.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
split washers.
The internal/external are just for bolts that need a good electrical connection as far as I've ever been told.
There are situations where I use both a star washer and split washer, but never just a split washer. Internal tooth star washers grab, and they're great when you don't have kep nuts and need to tighten something down with minimal access from the other side. The split washer will put tension on the star washer, allowing it to grab, and tighten..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks