• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC 5 Tons

91W350

Riley is all army, but we picked up a couple dozen USMC trucks there. I am not sure how the release of property works, but the depot would not be my choice for deciding who had the truck previously.

Scarecrow1

As far as I have read the Marines were known for using the 923A1s. The one thing that made theirs different was the fact that the beds had five drop sides well four but, five counting the tail gate. Their shipping containers were smaller and so they required the drop sides to be cut in half so they could load and off load one at a time while the other one was still secured and locked down. But mainly it is the markings like has already been said. I am not aware of any truck that was ever made for just one branch of the service ..............

seano11

As far as I have read the Marines were known for using the 923A1s. The one thing that made theirs different was the fact that the beds had five drop sides well four but, five counting the tail gate. Their shipping containers were smaller and so they required the drop sides to be cut in half so they could load and off load one at a time while the other one was still secured and locked down. But mainly it is the markings like has already been said. I am not aware of any truck that was ever made for just one branch of the service ..............
Didn't the Air Force order a bunch of built to there spec m35a2s at one time ?

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had several USMC trucks, and NONE of them had split dropsides. The only split sides I have seen were the M36A2's, and then only one side dropped. There are a couple other things that denote a jarhead truck, other than the markings on the hood. Also, all the ones I have had were 925's that were stripped of the winches and retagged when transferred to the Army.

Attachments

350TacoZilla

I will agree though that if you see it has the ISO bed there is a good chance it is a USMC truck, but I have seen them with ISo bed without lockers also. I always look for the tag on the driver side door warning you the vehicle is equipped with locking differentials.

350TacoZilla

The USMC beds have 2 piece bed sides that are bit taller than the standard 923. I think someone already said they were made that way for the USMC's containers they use trucks to haul.
Pics are tan ISO truck and green is my standard 9233-m923_5_ton_cargo.gif396089_10200484861148153_1182261045_n.jpg

mcmullag

If this helps at all.... Ranchers Supply in Lamar, Co appears to have a bunch of Marine 900 series.
I think he wants $11,500 as his sales price but if he takes a shine to ya, he may come down.
I was there about 2 or 3 weeks ago looking around.
He buys off GL and has his own tractor trailer drop decks go out and pick stuff up all over the country.
I was thinking I dont want a Marine 900 series because all I do is parades and those lockers in the axles would tear tires up on the streets.

USMC 900 Series Trucks

A couple of buddies of mine have owned 900 series trucks. All have had lockers in the rear, with a tag on the bottom edge of the drivers door. 2 of them had the ISO bed with the davit in the bed. Also they may have a bent piece of rebar on both sides of the front bumper, in the shape of a paper clip. Sand down the hood and you may see "USMC" in front of the USA #.

John

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The USMC M923A1's have all the winch controls in the cab but no winch or frame extensions!

91W350

If this helps at all.... Ranchers Supply in Lamar, Co appears to have a bunch of Marine 900 series.
I think he wants $11,500 as his sales price but if he takes a shine to ya, he may come down.
I was there about 2 or 3 weeks ago looking around.
He buys off GL and has his own tractor trailer drop decks go out and pick stuff up all over the country.
I was thinking I dont want a Marine 900 series because all I do is parades and those lockers in the axles would tear tires up on the streets.
Rancher's Supply was picking up A3 deuces when I was in Rapid City. They used ramps to drive the front axle up into the bed of the truck in front of them. The one that went into the bed of the truck on the upper step of the drop deck looked way too high, but they hauled them out that way. Three deuces to a trailer.