• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC deuce markings

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I picked up my M49A2C fuel tanker back in 1995, it only had two sets of markings, "2640" on the doors and "USMC 353418" on the sides of the hood. The hood markings were 1" size only.
Is it normal for a USMC vehicle to not have bumper markings and only have the numbers shown here?

Attachments

CGarbee

Yep, it is normal for the USMC vehicles to not have much in the way of markings...
I've got info from the USMC manual on vehicle markings on my website...

A lot of the marking standards have their genesis in WWII... Army in Europe put a lot of white paint (stripes, circles, stars) and unit numbers (lots of different units in the same general area) in order to help folks in the air identify friendly vehicles and for folks on the ground to figure out who was who and what belong to whom.. . USMC in the Pacific didn't have to worry so much about figuring out who was who since they didn't have as many units in a giien area, didn't have the air superiorty to be able to afford to be that visible from the sky and wanted to limit visbility of the vehicles more from the ground as well...

Of course, having said the above, there are a lot of USMC rigs that sported "unoficial" markings as well, nose art is still alive and well in the Corps and was plentify on tracks and trucks in Vietham (and is alive and well on equipement in Iraq currently....).

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a repeat of some of the info lost due to hacker vandalism.
I stenciled markings on the deuce as per original pictures (images below).
The number on the hood turns out to be the first 6 digits of the vehicle id number on the dash.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks