• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC Deuce Year Manufactured?

bad_dad

I have a deuce I purchased from GL in 2007 out at Camp Lejeune. I never tried to title it until now...I am requesting an SF 97 for it, but I can't seem to find what year to put it as. The data plates are missing and these are the only information I can come up with:

NSN - 2320000771616
Both doors painted w/ - 4A4848
Driver side frame is stamped w/ - M42354
Frame on both driver/passenger side stamped w/ - 2061

Date engine was manufactured is: 10-88
Refitted date: 09-91

Does anyone know how I go about trying to figure out what year this truck might be?

Also, what numbers do I use for my VIN?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

kipman

There should be a number on the frame, maybe passenger side, under some paint, that is what I used to ID my truck as a gasser.

bad_dad

There should be a number on the frame, maybe passenger side, under some paint, that is what I used to ID my truck as a gasser.
got that...this is what i got after i used some paint stripper...is it me or that just seems so oddly short for a VIN?

M42354

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will look at our A3 tommorrow and see what we used. the SF 97 and RMV1 just went to registry for plates. I know it was a much shorter number than we are used to.

bad_dad

I will look at our A3 tommorrow and see what we used. the SF 97 and RMV1 just went to registry for plates. I know it was a much shorter number than we are used to.
thanks...i just want to make sure i do the paperwork correctly...the YEAR and the VIN is the only thing holding me up.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The VIN number should be 9 digits and should be stamped on the drivers side frame rail. It is usually covered by undercoating which will need to be scraped off. On mine I needed a magnifying glass to see the digits, but I've seen them stamped much deeper on other deuces. I'm assuming here that you have an M35A2 and not an A3. I don't know what they do on A3s.

bad_dad

The VIN number should be 9 digits and should be stamped on the drivers side frame rail. It is usually covered by undercoating which will need to be scraped off. On mine I needed a magnifying glass to see the digits, but I've seen them stamped much deeper on other deuces. I'm assuming here that you have an M35A2 and not an A3. I don't know what they do on A3s.
nothing on the passenger side frame except "2061"...which is also stamped on the driver's side frame.

the only other set of numbers I was able to see on the frame after stripping almost all the paint off (behind the driver side wheel) is the same one I posted before:

"M42354"

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
got that...this is what i got after i used some paint stripper...is it me or that just seems so oddly short for a VIN?

M42354
That looks like a good number for an early truck. It could be a converted gasser. Only thing I know to do is to try and contact DDoyle. I don't think Carnac has info on the USMC trucks.

bad_dad

That looks like a good number for an early truck. It could be a converted gasser. Only thing I know to do is to try and contact DDoyle. I don't think Carnac has info on the USMC trucks.
I saw that Carnac has info on US Army vehicles only...

DDoyle still active on the forum?

Will try to PM him if I can't get anything in the next couple of days...

Thanks again, everyone!

bad_dad

BTW, I don't think GL knew the year either because they failed to mention it on the AD when it was still active on their site, it only stated:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-2]** STARTS AND RUNS ** M35A2 6X6, 2 1/ 2 TON CARGO TRUCK, MILES-10, 280, HOURS-431, MISSING TOP/ COVER, ** STARTS AND RUNS **
[/SIZE][/FONT]

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
OK folks, a couple things here....

1. Technically you bought this from DoD not USMC. To clarify, you bought this from the DEFENSE Reutilizaiton and Marketing Office not the Marine Reut....

Point with this is any Defense Department organization turns into DRMO. Just because it is located on a Marine Base is irrelevant.

2. This truck was Army. It is an old M35 that was probably rebuilt into an A2 model. Say that since no mention was made of what type of engine and other A2 stuff or is it still a gasser. I know that it's unlikely to be an M35 but ya never know.

3. The USMC has been 'deuce-free' for a long time. So this led me to question the title of this thread to start with. GOOD, cause that's what caused me to open it.

4. Here's your info.

Organization:230TH SUPPORT BN CO A Location:BENSON,
NORTH CAROLINA
Nomenclature:
TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T Model:
M35 NSN:
2320008358463 Serial Number:
M42354 Registration Number:
4A4848 Year of Mfg:
1953 Manufacturer:
03944 Usage Miles: 7632
Info as of Apr 98

bad_dad

OK folks, a couple things here....

1. Technically you bought this from DoD not USMC. To clarify, you bought this from the DEFENSE Reutilizaiton and Marketing Office not the Marine Reut....

Point with this is any Defense Department organization turns into DRMO. Just because it is located on a Marine Base is irrelevant.

2. This truck was Army. It is an old M35 that was probably rebuilt into an A2 model. Say that since no mention was made of what type of engine and other A2 stuff or is it still a gasser. I know that it's unlikely to be an M35 but ya never know.

3. The USMC has been 'deuce-free' for a long time. So this led me to question the title of this thread to start with. GOOD, cause that's what caused me to open it.

4. Here's your info.

Organization:230TH SUPPORT BN CO A Location:BENSON,
NORTH CAROLINA
Nomenclature:
TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T Model:
M35 NSN:
2320008358463 Serial Number:
M42354 Registration Number:
4A4848 Year of Mfg:
1953 Manufacturer:
03944 Usage Miles: 7632
Info as of Apr 98
WOW! Thanks, Carnac! I guess I should have asked you first before assuming it was a USMC vehicle.

It's older than what I expected. It now has a Hercules Multi-Fuel Engine, so I guess it was converted into an A2.

bad_dad

Is it true that if the serial number starts with an "M"...it's manufactured by STUDEBAKER?

If so, should I request for an SF 97 on a 1953 STUDEBAKER M35A2...please correct me if I'm wrong...trying to get this sent out by the end of the week.

Last edited:

Warren Lovell

When I did my Deuce SF97, I looked at the axle tags which have a manufacturing date. Unless of course the axles were switched out. Both my axles had the same month and year...

waayfast

HHMMM! Small world!.My 1957 Utica-Bend Gasser has M42461 Stamped on the left side of the frame and same on the data plate.We are only about a hunnert off!!I never sanded it down to find the numbers on the hood when I painted it,but they and the star are there so I assume this is Army.I also have a parts truck and the color is different(Marine)Also I assume my truck was pretty much local---after the gov was done with it Southern Idaho Timber Protective Association operated it (their sticker is still on the dash) then Cascade rural fire dept ran it till they upgraded to their "new" A3.Hope any of this helps.
Jim

stumps

Does it really matter what year and manufacturer you report? How are they going to know? As long as the serial number matches something on your frame, you should be golden.

Think about it: Here on SS is a collection of experts on HMV's that have a knowledge base that vastly exceeds anything that the girl behind the DMV counter will ever have access to, and yet we can't tell you what you really have.... other than it sure looks like an M35A2.

It may have been born a gasser, but it is an M35A2 now, with parts that came from a blend of lowest bidders. That gasser frame may very well be the only part left from the original truck that is on your truck.

I would report it as a 1953 Studebaker M35A2. There are advantages in having a truck that was made before any of the federal highway safety standards and regulations.

-Chuck

waayfast

Auntie M escaped the conversion---still a 331 gasser.A double edged sword--wanted(still) a multifuel so I could play with alternate fuels but all original untouched has an undeniable cool factor too.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Is it true that if the serial number starts with an "M"...it's manufactured by STUDEBAKER?

If so, should I request for an SF 97 on a 1953 STUDEBAKER M35A2...please correct me if I'm wrong...trying to get this sent out by the end of the week.
Take the manufacture code provided and plug it into BINCS to find out who the MFG is. I have a link to that on my VIN thread or you can do a google search on it.