• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC Semi-Glass Forest Green too shiney

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I painted several parts with Gillispie 24052 USMC Semi-Glass OD I purchased from Rapco. The issue I'm having is that is has a fairly high level of gloss even after about 5-6 hours of painting. Will this fade down? The reason I ask is that I painted over a small section of a freshly painted jerry can (painted this afternoon with 24052) and the spray can from Rapco of 24052 was much less glossy. Am I doing something wrong or should I give it a few days at 85 degrees or so. TO give a little prep history, it was blasted and primered with two coats of 2 part epoxy primer (3 hour apart) and let sit for 48 hours in my garage wich is in the low 80s.

Please help as I don't want to have to go over every piece after I spray it with the gun with a raddle can to get the right color.

Thanks
Jason:cookoo:

littlebob

It will fade and get dull, its the nature of the Alkyd enamels. Every time I've painted a different part it is shiny for a few months. If you used hardners it will keep the gloss longer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My question is why would you want to spray over something you just painted? I'm not sure what you are asking. If the paint is a different tone, perhaps it was a batch issue. Hardner will gloss up any paint. Like Pete, I much prefer 34052. Check your rattle can, perhaps you have 34052 instead of 24052.

Barrman

It will even out. I found the first cup of 24052 I shot from each gallon jug no matter how much I shook and mixed it was more shiny than the rest of the gallon.

You can't tell which of my parts were painted when or with what now. I spent just about 4 years straight shooting something for the M715 or Gasser M35 every weekend. By the time they were all bolted together, they looked the same.

Put it out in the sun for a few weeks and you won't know there was ever any shine anywhere.

boomer

That paint is ok, but getting it from that source-a lot of people I have talked with won't be dealing with him, again.
Also, is semi-glass a new paint, and what's a raddle can?:?:

zout

Here is the Sherwin Williams - that I shot a month ago just to check out how some body repairs looked. This is with the hardener as well. This will all get eventually painted at one time.

But the main purpose was to give you a comparison and not to steal your thread.

apologize - first pic has nothing to do with the paint I screwed up - I edited

Attachments

Last edited: