• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC vs. Army Deuce?

USMC6062

I don't know if this a stupid question, but how can you tell an Army truck from a USMC truck, other than when it's painted on there somewhere? I'm hoping to get me a 2.5 ton soon, I want a hard top, but if I get a soft top, a hard top will swap on there right? Also, I have a DRMO near by me, and I stopped and asked them about buying a truck, and asked if I could crank it up when I come to look at it, they said no the trucks are sold as is. She said they will put in the listing if the truck was drove in or not, but I would still like to hear something run before I buy it, is this normal for GL? She also said nothing can be drove out of there, it has to be towed out the gate, then you can do what you want, but I've read about guys driving theirs home after they buy it, what gives? Sorry for all the newbe questions, I've been searching and can't fingd the answers. Thanks, Alex

2027Deuce

Alex,

I am former USMC so I think I get the jist of your question. I have found the important thing to be finding a good unabused truck no matter what branch of service had it. As you know the army alot of times has better equip than the Marines so which would you rather own? My second deuce was army HQ HQ company so low miles for its age and taken care of, it will get Marine markings this summer before parade season.

Also I don't know what DRMO you are referring too but you should be able to drive out the gate if it runs, if they won't allow that arrange to be pulled out the gate, otherwise hauling maybe your only option. If you are not able to preview the trucks my rule of thumb is bid salvage value only because that may be what you end up with. Read the TM's that are avail. on this site and ask questions when you need too.

Welcome aboard and good luck in finding the right truck for you. The search is part of the fun.

[thumbzup]

FrankUSMC

You are not going to find any M35s at DRMO that were Marine trucks, we got rid of them years ago. There is a place down the road from me that got two Marine M35sfrom Camp Lejeune about 20 years ago, both were nice.....20 years ago when I saw them, now, they are sad looking.
Find yourself the best M35 you can find, paint it Marine green, Mark it as a Marine truck, if any one one looks at the data plate and says "this is an Army truck!?" You say back "Yea, but, we stole it while they were not looking".
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Michael

Some of GL's locations would probably let you rebuild the motor and mount new tires on the rims, but it is said some locations insist that they be towed off base and I seem to recall that FL bases were the worst. Most military bases won't let you preview without military ID which I assume you have if you dropped by a DRMO office.

Jakob

Re: RE: USMC vs. Army Deuce?

FrankUSMC said:
Find yourself the best M35 you can find, paint it Marine green, Mark it as a Marine truck, if any one one looks at the data plate and says "this is an Army truck!?" You say back "Yea, but, we stole it while they were not looking".
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
This is what I planned on doing. Getting whatever truck I could and painting it up as a USMC truck.
As the ole Marine Corps saying goes... "Gear a drift is gear a gift." :lol:

beaubeau

RE: Re: RE: USMC vs. Army Deuce?

FrankUSMC. I know of several military vehicles that Disappered from ARMY and became Parts Vehicles to the Marines while I was in V.N.I guess it happen more Often! Phil

ida34

RE: Re: RE: USMC vs. Army Deuce?

I had thought the paper clips were a good indication of a USMC vehicle. Just to let you guys know I got some of the borrowed Army equipment back from the docks in Dhahran. :driver: I always carried some spray paint with me.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Army has borrowed alot of parts off the fields of USMC trucks in MCLB Barstow... Especially when you need a part to get a truck off the train or out of the railhead in Yermo and to NTC... Or so I have heard.....

USMC6062

Thanks for the replies. I pretty much plan on finding the cleanest running one I can, then painting it to look like a USMC truck. The DRMO/GL I'm talking about is here in Jacksonville, FL, have any of ya'll bought one from there? I can't believe they wouldn't let you start it or one of the employes start it for the potential buyer. If the keys are in them, I think I'll go for the ask for forgiveness instead of permission and see if the one I like runs. I guess the worst they'll do is tell me to shut it off. On that note, I remember starting one of these trucks one time, what switches or knobs have to be moved to start one, I can't remember? Thanks, Alex

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks