• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Valence's 1997 Pribbs M101A3

Guyfang

Staff member
I used to go to Smith and Edwards in 1971-72. Man, what a huge operation it was. Walk in, and smell that smell. "Army Surplus smell". We lived in Roy and it was just a hop, skip and a jump from the house. When we were on our way to Willard Bay to water ski, if we need anything for our "Hobo Town" as my Father called it, we would stop by and run in.
In the summer all the families who water skied, about 8-10 families, would head out to Willard bay. It was all the people who worked out on Hill AFB, at Autonetics. The wives and kids left at noon with the camper and boat, and we set up camp and put the boats in. The men all came in around 17:00 and some of them only took off their shoes and rolled up their pant legs for the first run.
That year and a half gave me more pleasure then all the years before.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
April 07th, 2024:
I want/need to buy new tires for my M101A3 (and for one of my generator trailers), but I figured in the mean time, the tires I have hold air and would work for a generator trailer sitting in the driveway. I "borrowed" the very nice (like new) tires from my green MEP-803A generator trailer to use on my M101 for the season, or likely permanently. It turned out to be a very good thing because of all the CARC on the wheel lug threads, my 1/2" Ingersoll Rand impact would not remove the driver's tire and I had to use my 3/4" impact with 900 ft-lbs of toque. I would have hated to have been on the side of the road trying to take those off by hand!

4.jpg 5.jpg 1.jpg

There was another windstorm here recently that afforded me the chance to get some more free firewood! The wood was all green and I'm not man enough to split green wood (or even some dried hardwoods!). I didn't want to have to set the wood somewhere and move it multiple times until I did another single day log splitter rental to split all the firewood I had collected for the season. I decided to buy my own log splitter and split the wood with each trailer load, or whenever was best for me. It would have taken at least 14 more rentals of a log splitter to break even on the cost so this might not have been the best financial investment, but I didn't buy my own to necessarily save me money, but to save me hassle. I will admit though that there is hassle in storing and servicing the log splitter.

As can be seen, I went with the 27-ton Champion. Last year I learned which features I liked and disliked about the 27-ton Ariens log splitter that I rented. The Champion was the cheapest that had the majority of those features. A few things could still be better, such as the little material handling arms/trays that stick out need to be larger and I would have preferred to operate the hydraulic ram lever with my left hand so my dominant right could be handling the log.

2.jpg 3.jpg

I don't know why log splitters don't have a muffler on them though. Weight really isn't a concern here. They don't need to be so loud, do they?! hah. Wonder if I can add one...

April 27th, 2024:
I had hooked up my trailer a couple days earlier to perhaps go pick up a non-working MEP-002A for cheap, but it was sold quicker than I could get there. I turned out to be fortuitous because I still had the trailer hooked up when on short notice a family was moving in nearby. I was able to use my trailer to help them haul a few pieces of large furniture from their rental.
(No pictures sadly)

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question for the crew here, can you put the HMMWV wheels and tires from an M101A3 on an M101A2 / M116A2 (flat bed/generator)?

I couldn't seem to find a direct answer for fitment/rub issues other than papakb saying he has ran "HMMWV wheels and tires on my M101A2 for years without any problems."

This post title is promising but wasn't covering all compatibility, just the fellow's specific situation:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question for the crew here, can you put the HMMWV wheels and tires from an M101A3 on an M101A2 / M116A2 (flat bed/generator)?

I couldn't seem to find a direct answer for fitment/rub issues other than papakb saying he has ran "HMMWV wheels and tires on my M101A2 for years without any problems."

This post title is promising but wasn't covering all compatibility, just the fellow's specific situation:
I tried to put some tires from my HMMWV on an M116A2 and the tire is pressed up against the parking brake cable. Most that I've read about seem to add a 2" wheel spacer to solve this issue.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried to put some tires from my HMMWV on an M116A2 and the tire is pressed up against the parking brake cable. Most that I've read about seem to add a 2" wheel spacer to solve this issue.
I’m not too surprised the HMMWV wheel offset is insufficient. Thank you for answering that!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks