• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Value of S-788 Humvee Shelter

signsup

Picked up well worn Type !!! S-788 shelter, don't know if it has a/c and/or generator until I get it opened up. My game plan was to place it in the bed of a non running but complete M998, paint it up desert tan and use it as a signage and photo op vehicle in front of local military museum. But, I'm reading many threads and posts about these lightweight shelters being used as campers and off road shelters, mounted on trailer frames, etc., so it might be worth more to someone else than as a sign post. I see Eastern Surplus selling these for almost $4k plus shipping, but that's hard to believe.
Any ballpark idea what these things are worth so that I can put it to it's best use? I'll hang up and listen.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictures would help, I see them going from $600 or so on up, I bought a real nice one that was delivered all the way from Houston for $1000 and a NOS one for around $1750.
I did watch one in disbelief go for over 5K, there was nothing special about it, only that least two folks wanted it.
Finding the mounts including the proper rubber bushings is the difficult part.
And of course how many are in your area vs how many people want one has a big effect on value

Reactions: OBX

signsup

I do not know what Eastern Surplus is selling for $3,900 if you bought a NOS one for less than half that. If I pass it on, it will be the next guys issue with mounting hardware. If I keep it on a static display vehicle, I'll do what I have to do to make it safe, but probably not OE spec. I do not have the enterance ladder, so kids can't climb up inside while on the vehicle. And, if that becomes an issue, we'll figure out a way to secure the rear door with a padlock through the latch bracket holes.
It has the support for the a/c unit, but it's heavy steel for a lightweight shelter, might be Bubba, might be OE. Either way, I think it's coming off, or it will just hang over the drivers position head. Probably just get some sheet metal to screw over the a/c opening and filters to keep wasps out.
But, here are some pics. I'm banging out some doors today to get them to all latch properly.
Then pressure wash inside and out, let dry and then get it on the back of a M998.
arrival drivers side.JPGarrival door open.JPGarrival passenger side.JPG

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reactions: OBX

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have at least the about 1/3 of the mounting hardware, the missing pieces are the truck sides of the mounts and the rubber isolators/special washers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks