• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

valve adjustment on CAT 3116

Aernan

I have no written documentation I'm just going by my cat over the road buddy who gave me the 100k overhead interval, but it isn't hard to stick in a set of feeler gauges to check and verify if an adjustment needs to happen sooner.
On some other posts people talk about replacing the valve cover gasket. Do you think that is necessary every time I get in there?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On some other posts people talk about replacing the valve cover gasket. Do you think that is necessary every time I get in there?
I would. They aren't very expensive, and they seem to be a part that frequently springs an annoying leak (not really frequently, but far more valve cover gaskets go than head gaskets, or other things). For $20, it's just good practice to change it.

Aernan

I would. They aren't very expensive, and they seem to be a part that frequently springs an annoying leak (not really frequently, but far more valve cover gaskets go than head gaskets, or other things). For $20, it's just good practice to change it.
ok after some google searching I found the local cat dealer has it for some $38 and I did find one for under $20 shipped so that's a good deal. Is there any pressing reason the dealer sells parts so much higher than available elsewhere? Should I worry about getting sub standard parts?

Aernan

I finally found one big reason for my poor performance. The previous owner put in a floor mat that was preventing the peddle from going all the way down.

My max rpm went from 2400 to 2700 in neutral. I still need to find that missing 1000 rpm. It also now shifts great at 2500 under full throttle acceleration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Aernan

I read somewhere the governed RPM should b 2800 with the actual red line being 2900 but I'm not sure where I read that. It seems plausible it's supposed to be 2700 given how precisely my engine went to that speed. I guess all this concern about adjustments and impairments was unnecessary.

I'm still going to swap my fuel filters because they look antique and I don't know when the last owner changed them. I also plan on running some fuel injection cleaner because it can't hurt. The tools for a valve adjustment are still on order including a valve cover gasket. When time allows I might still go in there and check things.

I am still unable to find the recommended valve adjustment interval in the TMs or anywhere Cat official. I would like to call the local CAT dealer but I have still not located the engine serial number. It's not on top of the engine so I now need to find the one ground/stamped into the engine. My new hunting spot is under the compressor on the drivers side. I plan on using a mirror. I have a really early truck so it's anyone's guess where the serial is on this motor.

Last edited:

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting... 2 questions:

What/How did you rotate the crank to bring each rocker up to TDC when adjusting.
What are the cold specs for the adjustment?

Pointman

Aernan

Interesting... 2 questions:

What/How did you rotate the crank to bring each rocker up to TDC when adjusting.
What are the cold specs for the adjustment?

Pointman
You can put a wrench on any belt driven accessory to rotate the engine. The intake/exhaust tolerances should be on a build plate on the engine.

Aernan

ok found it. It's in TM 9-2320-365-34-2 section 3-103
Intake - 0.015 in. (0.38 mm)
Exhaust - 0.025 in. (0.64 mm)

Ranges:
Intake - 0.012 - 0.018 in. (0.30 - 0.46 mm)
Exhaust - 0.022 - 0.028 in. (0.56 - 0.72 mm)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks