• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Valve Cover Gaskets

renovate7

I have a small oil leak on the top of the engine. It looks like some oil is coming from between the vent tube and top of the valve covers and running down the rear valve cover. Easy enough to pull the tube and replace the gasket. I also think I may have some oil coming from the rear valve cover. I got new valve cover gaskets that appear to be a really thick rubber. I think I read where you can retorque the valve covers to get a better seal on the gaskets. Should I try that or just replace the gasket?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
35 year old rubber tends to be hard and brittle, replace them. also replace the gaskets for the breather manifold and replace the hose that connects the pipe to the breather manifold.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
ditto-and don't overtorque them and distort the valve cover!

Barrman

When you have the covers off, look at the gasket surface and the bolt holes. If they look like they are bent toward the head. Turn them upside down on the edge of a wood surface. Put the round end of a ball peen hammer in the hole and whack it with another hammer. This will dimple the hole away from the head and give you a better seal with the gasket.

GoHot229

Is there any supplier that sells just the valve cover gaskets for the duce, so I could adjust the valves without buying the whole gasket kit?
Well an email to saturn Surplus and I found a supp;ier of just the two valve cover gaskets, rather than having to get a whole 'kit'

Last edited:

Barrman

You might also want to pull the vent tube off the valve covers and look at both surfaces. Mine had a small leak there that I just lived with. I finally got around to pulling it apart and found parts of 3 different gaskets stacked on top of each other in no particular pattern. I got it down to just one gasket and the leak is gone.

Never over estimate the intelligence of the last person to work on your truck.