• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Valve Stem Seals?

yertnamreg

I'm in the process of doing a tire change on my M1085. I've taken the easy way out and taken it to a tire shop :naner:

We've only done one tire so far because we're waiting on o-rings, but the results were less than stellar. The morning after the tire change the tire was flat. To make sure this doesn't happen on the rest of the tires, I'm buying all new seals for the CTIS assembly on the wheels. I've been able to find everything at finditparts EXCEPT for the valve stem seal that sits between the turret and rim. I even called Dill (the mfg) and they stated its an obsolete and unsupported part.

Soooo, my question is:
Where can I buy just the seal for the valve stem? Seems a little ridiculous we should have to buy a whole new stem assembly when most times its just the seal that needs replaced.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Actually anytime you change ANY tire you should change the valve stem. How often are you changing tires? Every 4 to 5 years? Not too much of an expense in the long run.

You can try the one that goes on the older 5 ton combat wheel. Those grommets are readily available. Ebay search NSN 5325-01-231-7594.

I don't see a specific part number in the LMTV TM for just the seal so I can't run that number. There is probably not much difference in the seals between that and a 5 ton. I use large bore valve stems in the LMTV type wheels I have.

yertnamreg

I know with "normal" tires it's standard practice to replace the valve stems, but to me it seems the only wear part on the FMTV stems is the seal. It's nothing more than a bolt with a tube right? Are we worried about vibration causing cracking in the valve stem assembly?

You're right, $30 a wheel for stems isn't terrible, but can you blame me for wanting to replace a $3 part instead?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I know with "normal" tires it's standard practice to replace the valve stems, but to me it seems the only wear part on the FMTV stems is the seal. It's nothing more than a bolt with a tube right? Are we worried about vibration causing cracking in the valve stem assembly?

You're right, $30 a wheel for stems isn't terrible, but can you blame me for wanting to replace a $3 part instead?
Click the link below. It will give you the specs for the grommet on the 5 ton and use a micrometer to measure yours to see how close it may be.

https://www.iso-group.com/NSN/5325-01-231-7594

Also the turrets can crack. I have had 2 crack right where the stem goes into it. That was with complete road use. You should always keep a few extras on hand anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks