• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vertical Solar Panels

akistem

You said it's a rough sketch so maybe this is already thought out, but as you have it shown the pivot is axial to the cylinder when in the retracted position. This would put all force from the cylinder into the pivot and the panel wouldn't move.
Yah I don't think it would move in the sketch configuration shown for the reasons that you mention. I'm actually hoping to mock up a half sized prototype but just need the snow to melt to expose the old cultivator on the farm that I plan to thieve the cylinder from lol

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck is sitting fairly level, it wont take much offset of the cylinder mount or the hinge to get them moving.

phuriousgeorge

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just saw this thread, lots of great ideas. I can share with you our 10 months on the road in eastern US, rarely staying more than one night at the same location and always prefer staying in the woods somewhere like national forests.
4ea 325 watt solar panels on top of the roof full time.
4 more under the top panels that are deployed using pneumatic cylinders/actuators. Press a button and the go out press another button and the go in.
Solar 2,600 watts of solar total when parked in an open area. Note only when you are confident that no one with a rig taller than your panels that they can do a close drive by and cause damage. That happened once we were fortunate our solar structure was stronger than the fiberglass fifth wheel.
Batteries 8ea 200 amph 12v total 1,600/19.2kwh
5,000 watt inver
12kw mini split 120v
All electric cooking with 2 burner induction cooktop, ninja all in one toaster oven.
12v Dometic full size rv fridge freezer
Diesel hydronic heater for water and habitat.
3,500 watt back up gas generator with 50 gallons of fuel for that alone.

We’ve never needed to connect to shore power during any season running AC and heat as needed.
Things I like, because you can’t always choose the direction to park in flat panels work in every direction as long as you can see the sky. Interesting fun fact on a cloudy day we start producing power earlier than a clear day. That whole light refraction thing.
The air space between the panels and the roof significantly reduced heat inside the habitat. And when deployed they make a great shade for the side of the vehicle and keeps the rain off the windows. Having hinged panels would possibly block your windows while inside and in situations where you can’t raise them.
My wife is a great cook and loves to do so. So all this is based on truly living out of it full time.
We can go approximately 3-4 days during the cloudiest rainy days and recharge the batteries with just the generator from 40 percent to 100 in about 4 hours using about a gallon of fuel.
Winter is a more challenging time with less sun at a lower angles and then if you are in a valley.
View attachment 920042
Thank you for all the details, this is exactly what I was planning to do myself. Exploring your build thread now (y)

coachgeo

if your debating pulling a Toad rig flat or on trailer, such as a grocery getter, go deeper into Tundra rig or to go get yourself some aid with a stuck/flop... etc.. consider it more cause you can put panels on that too with ability to position it in the sun. Likely save more fuel using that as your go getter as you will the extra expense it takes to pull it (fuel, wear etc.) and get extra charging power out of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks