• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIC-1 Installation

Armada

I'm getting ready to install a vic-1 system in my M35. Does anyone have pictures of their installation so I can get some mounting ideas? I have 2 springer seats in the cab, so I have a fair amount of space between the seats on the back of the cab, and everything would be accessable. Bjorn, I know you have one mounted in your truck, got any pics of the installation? Anyone else?
Thanks
Paul

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One really cool idea I saw somewhere (dunno if it was at a MV show or on here) was mount all the VIC boxes to a piece of plywood, that way, you dont have to drill a ton of holes in the cab where water can leak in, ect.. Plus it's easily removable from truck to truck... Much easier to build and fix that way.

Armada

One really cool idea I saw somewhere (dunno if it was at a MV show or on here) was mount all the VIC boxes to a piece of plywood, that way, you dont have to drill a ton of holes in the cab where water can leak in, ect.. Plus it's easily removable from truck to truck... Much easier to build and fix that way.
That's a great idea. There are a couple reinforcing ribs on the inside back of the cab that I could mount the board to. Keep 'em coming.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a heater? My truck did not. There are 2 captured nuts on the firewall just above the tunnel. I used these to mount the 1780 and mounted the control boxes on the tunnel against the firewall. Sorry, no pics.

greensix

I mounted mine between the sring seat and the passenger seat on the center trans cover just behind shifter. at a 45 angle far enough back so that it does not affect shifting.the boxs for cvc helmets mounted under dash on each side.plus a box in the back on the front rack

Armada

Would it be ok to connect the cx4720 to the cables that hook to the back of the slave plug on the inside of the cab since they are a constant power source? Or would a bus bar like that found in a cucv m1009 connected to the cable lugs for the slave work also. Then that would give more places to connect other 'accessories'.

Armada

Update: Got everything mounted and connected. I have power to the amp but no communication between headsets. What should the settings be on the 1780 and the 2298 boxes? First off the 2298 boxes have the caps installed on the bottom of them so that is not the problem. The commander (driver) box is on J504 and the other on J507 on the amp. I am not using a radio so power comes in at J508 via cx4720. Headsets are H-161 and the yellow line is connected to the yellow post on the 2298. Should the 2298's be set at "ALL" or "int only"? On the 1780, the inst. switch is turned to int only and the power light comes on. What should the other switches be set at?
One more thing regarding the headsets.... On the toggle, what does the 'isc' stand for?
And yes Ace, I read the manual, that's how I got as far as I did. I'm sure I missed something though.
Thanks.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost everything was covered in this MVM article.

"AN/VIC-1 vehicular intercom" , Issue #106, December 2004

If you don't have that issue, I'll check on you specific questions. Be aware that many of the 1780 units don't work, there is no reverse polarity protection and they will be damaged if the 24-volt polarity is switched.

Armada

Thanks Bjorn. I don't have that issue :( . The 1780 was new, still sealed in the bag when I got it, so that shouldn't be the problem. One of the 2298's was new, the other was used but tested good. Supposedly the headsets work, the wiring and connections look good from a visual perspective. I was told that some headsets were mislabeled when they were manufactured then released as surplus. The yellow was put on the wrong wire. They can be reversed and will work fine. I want to make sure my dials are set right before I try that.
In your above photo, I can almost make out what yours are set at. Do you have a frontal pic?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks