• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Victory Marks or Kill Marks

McMacy

Are these painted on with a stencil?

Was there a uniform style? For example, all tanks or planes in a squadron, same artist or same stencil, same color, or the same size?
How ornate? Is there standard like two colors max?

Looked online and didn't find much of above questions. Did see airplanes with 'kills' of radar sites, drones, and some with an element of humor.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was a WWII thing for the most part, and when found on ground vehicles, was symbols painted on tank barrels.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We painted them on out E-2C's when I was with VAW-77. We were the only full time counter narcotics squadron in the Navy. If I remember right we had mini "go-fast" boats and marijuana leafs. I left there in May of 2011 so it was recent. They are now decommissioned.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The basic answer is that there is no military-wide standard, they were applied by units, or individuals within units, as they saw fit. Hand painted or stenciled, depending on how fancy/same folks wanted them.

Kill/mission marks have been applied on everything from individual weapons to aircraft carriers.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks