• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIN Issue

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay I've got 2 VINs on my M37. The dash plate VIN is 80260652. The VIN on the frame is 2661186749. One 8 digit VIN and one 10 digit VIN. I checked the G741 site registry and both types are listed on owners vehicles in different eras so I'm a tad confused.

The frame appears to be an early model, from what I've been told, since the brake light switch is inside the frame and not on the master cylinder. The data plate says that it's a 1954 which no doubt means a body swap.

My question is which format is correct? I plan to title it with the frame VIN but want to make sure I've got it right.

papercu

Before you title you need to make them match, you get the wrong LEO and at the very least it will cost you a tow bill (impound) till you prove it is your vehicle. Wayne
FYI A Vehicle Identification Number, commonly abbreviated to VIN, is a unique serial number used by the automotive industry to identify individual motor vehicles. Prior to 1980, there was not an accepted standard for these numbers, so different manufacturers used different formats.

Modern day VINs consist of 17 characters which do not include the letters I, O or Q.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm up on what a VIN is and realize that both need to match. It's much easier to swap data plates than it is stamping new numbers on the frame. What I was attempting to find out is what was the correct format. I have since learned that they both are correct (and a couple others as well) depending on the year of manufacture.

Unfortunately I've gotten more confused. The 2261 prefix is for Jan '61 through Dec '62 but the frame has the earlier style brake light switch. Seems like there would be a lot of plumbing to redo just to change to a more obsolete style switch if it was a '62 frame.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Okay I've got 2 VINs on my M37. The dash plate VIN is 80260652. The VIN on the frame is 2661186749. One 8 digit VIN and one 10 digit VIN. I checked the G741 site registry and both types are listed on owners vehicles in different eras so I'm a tad confused.
The frame appears to be an early model, from what I've been told, since the brake light switch is inside the frame and not on the master cylinder. The data plate says that it's a 1954 which no doubt means a body swap.
My question is which format is correct? I plan to title it with the frame VIN but want to make sure I've got it right.

Mark...unless you can document the "body swap" I recommend you use the data plate on the dash.
I'm afraid if you don't you may have issues if pulled over for some reason. Most LEOs might check the data plate against the registration but few will wanna check the frame # unless the vehicle is stolen etc.

This has and will continue to be an issue as we here at CAMO swap tubs etc often (mostly jeeps) to the best available frame...GPW on MB frame etc..and engines...we only have ONE #s matching jeep in the whole club...and that is a Ford Script GP.

I venture to say that LEO's will accept a data plate number that matches the registration before they will accept numbers that don't match.

The other option is to just order a new data plate and have the frame # etched on it. As long as you are comfortable that there is no hanky panky going on with the numbers I think I would pursue this option.

BTW way...it was good meeting you and the folks thought you were a good troop.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread is almost two years old. I think Mark already has the M37 titled.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the deuce I buy is missing it's data plates, can I still get it titled and plated?
You might want to start a new thread.

There are possible ways to get it titled It will cost $$$, but there is a chance you will not be able to. I would make the seller get it titled or discount the price greatly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks