• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vin number location m35a2?

MVtrucker

It should be in two places, a data plate on the dash and on the left front frame rail (on the outside of the rail, under the fender). You might have to do some scraping to find it. The frame number is the manufacturer's number and will not include the hood number. Usually, but not always, the hood number is included with the frame number when stamped in the data plate. I get the impression that your VIN # data plate is missing. You might find the hood number stenciled someplace in the cab, like on the doors. The hood number might still be on the hood and covered with layers of paint.

Monster Man

a good trick is to sand down the number on the frame so that the paint stays in the numbers and you can clearly read it, the DMV will want to see that # instead of a dash plate anyhow.

A good trick to uncovering old stencils under layers of paint is to spray it with a mist of gloss. When I semi-glossed my deuce all the old stencils showed up in the light

Jim145

ok guys thanks for the info I'll have to look at her again, I know there is no data plate in the cab. the one on the frame is it going to be an actual plate or is it stamped?

da_sgt

Your Vin will be stamped on the frame ;-) I got lucky with my last deuce, it had two extra Vin plates they put on it at Toole when they rustproofed it. One is a tag hanging off the frame where they sprayed over the stamped Vin, and they also put a tag inside the vent on the drivers side [thumbzup]

MVtrucker

da_sgt
Interesting, I've never seen tags like that. I did get a 1953 Studebaker M35A2 in that had the original data plate pop riveted to the inside of the glove box door. I really like that!

da_sgt

I thought the tags were a bit "different" :eyes: Just glad they were there and I know the cop who did my vin inspection [^] Sure did'nt want to grind off all that rustproofing and paint :nono: Legally he could have made me so he could see the permanent numbers stamped on the frame, but he took my word :lol: that everything was cool [thumbzup]

Jim145

[2] [/2]
Ok guys I have located the vin number on the frame, I wish I could find my digital camera that my wife borrowed one day a few months ago to take a pic but I guess thats not happening today.

I used the paint stripper tactic on it, there was some kind of paint or primmer that is real tough though the color is sort of lime green. Anyway a couple of the numbers are a little weak in the strike. I am going to try what Monster Man had suggested
with painting over it then light sand it off to see if the numbers come up better.

Question: is it normal for a couple numbers to be weak?
and I'm guessing that this done by hand or is it done by machine?

As always thanks for the help