• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Virginia title and registration- possible issue

HumVa

Hampton Roads area here and new member. Purchased a 2004 M1123 and finally was able to get it to the point of getting it on the road. Seems like I’ve never had good luck with the DMV but I had all my paperwork in order. I had the form for the new”ish” military surplus registration that past a few years back and all the other stuff from Iron planet. The lady at the counter looked a bit confused and didn’t know what a Humvee was. I showed her a picture of it and she took my phone in the back to show her supervisor. She quickly came back and said that her boss told her it’s a Hummer. I should have questioned it but next thing I know she gave me a new title and normal plates.
My question is to the other Va members, is the military surplus registration suppose to look like a standard vehicular registration and title?
I also was expecting the plate to be different as well, almost like an antique tag that would identify its restriction.
There is no identification on the title and it shows the body as Hummer and my vehicle use as “private”.

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hampton Roads area here and new member. Purchased a 2004 M1123 and finally was able to get it to the point of getting it on the road. Seems like I’ve never had good luck with the DMV but I had all my paperwork in order. I had the form for the new”ish” military surplus registration that past a few years back and all the other stuff from Iron planet. The lady at the counter looked a bit confused and didn’t know what a Humvee was. I showed her a picture of it and she took my phone in the back to show her supervisor. She quickly came back and said that her boss told her it’s a Hummer. I should have questioned it but next thing I know she gave me a new title and normal plates.
My question is to the other Va members, is the military surplus registration suppose to look like a standard vehicular registration and title?
I also was expecting the plate to be different as well, almost like an antique tag that would identify its restriction.
There is no identification on the title and it shows the body as Hummer and my vehicle use as “private”.
I don't know a thing about it, but it sounds like a gift?

Reactions: 98G

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The more important question is how many digits your VIN on the title is. The MSV plate is nearly identical to passenger standard issue except in the middle at the bottom where it says "MSV". If you had/have registered it as anything different than MSV eventually DMV will come back and rescind your registration. Most likely they put manufacturer as AM GEN and model as HUMMER, then the 6 digit registration number as the VIN. Don't know if you are on Facebook but the VA HMMWV Owner's page has more information on titling/registration.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as you got it registered I would start jumping up and down. Always a lot of stress getting these things registered and insured. Mine is a Hum. Lol

Mark

HumVa

The more important question is how many digits your VIN on the title is. The MSV plate is nearly identical to passenger standard issue except in the middle at the bottom where it says "MSV". If you had/have registered it as anything different than MSV eventually DMV will come back and rescind your registration. Most likely they put manufacturer as AM GEN and model as HUMMER, then the 6 digit registration number as the VIN. Don't know if you are on Facebook but the VA HMMWV Owner's page has more information on titling/registration.
Sounds like that was exactly what happened. My registration shows AM General, Hummer , no MSV and I have the 6 digit VIN. It does list the M1123 as the model though.
The new title there is no MSV on it. Looks exactly like my other civilian vehicles with IND listed under other pertinent data.
I don’t have Facebook but I do appreciated the information. Looks like I’ll be another 45 min into this at the DMV +fees .. Darn it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks