• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Visit To Marine Corps Logistics Base, Albany Ga.

rdixiemiller

All
This post may need to be somewhere else, the moderators can decide.

I visited the paint facility at MCLB Albany the other day. I was doing a little consulting work on the armor line, where they are doing the HUMMV armor kits for Iraq. I got to tour the place, Ye Gods!! at the MV's!!

I saw at least 7500 HUMMV's, maybe 300 HEMMT's, at least 1000 5 tonners, and who knows how many Amphibious assault, cranes, tracks, etc.

Oh yeah, 6 deuces in the whole place. They are almost gone from down there. 3 M-109's in for rebuild, they were last done in 1991, and 3 deuces in the DRMO yard, but not on the website yet.

The armor line and paint shop occupied most of my time. The armor kits had to be USMC green and stop bullets. That was the main concern. The armor panels got sandblasted and powder coated. As they came off the line, they went straight into boxes and were shipped out. Most will rust wherever they get a scratch, because they were not zinc phosphated. 3/8" high hard armor plate floor tubs, 1/4" door, rear, and misc armor. Those HUMMV's are going to gain a good bit of weight with these kits!

The rebuilding line was doing an order of amphibious assault tracks, and wheeled scout vehicles. The machines are completely torn down, all components rebuilt, the bodies sandblasted, wash primed (phosphatizing), primed, painted, and reassembled. In a couple of weeks when I am back down, they will be doing 5 ton trucks.

You have to see this place to appreciate it, 1200 acres of vehicles and shops. I have never seen as many HEMMT's in one place as there. 100 acres of power sections, at least that many acres of rear sections. HUMMV's were in lots of 1250 to the lot, just miles of them. I was allowed to take pictures, but my camera flash died. I got some outside shots, next time I will get some inside ones.

I am attaching some misc. pictures

Maybe not. I can't get them to upload tonight. I'll try again later.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been to MCLB Albany a few times. The place is constantly changing but one thing remains the same, it's always bursting at the seams with MVs old and depoted alike. They had a yard bigger than life full of M151s many years ago.

rdixiemiller

The HMMV's were what got me, 20-25 in a row, 50-90 rows in a lot. All configs, mostly 3 color camo. Saw some that were back from Afghanistan for repairs, some of them had been hard hit.
A lot of HEMMT power units that had been rolled, looks like that would be a bad ride.
I won an auction for some towbars at DRMO Albany, so I will be down there the week after next to pick them up. These are the long ones from the M-88 recovery vehicles, should work fine for a deuce.
I will be making up the adapter brackets to fit a deuce, they always seem to be missing from the towbars. Almost all the ones I see for sale are missing them. Hmmmmm..... there might be a market for them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you seen one of those heavy tow bars? They are ghastly. You may need helper springs on the front of the deuce you tow with that sucker. On a more serious note, the pins unique to the towbar are commonly missing. They are a different grade steel than the pins used in the tow shackles. Depending on cost, might be a market for those. I had a buddy make me up 3 and I bought the steel. I got steel at the suggestion of the guy at the steel store and I know it was near $90 for the little piece I got. the guy that machined it Oil hardened it after he was done. I really don't know what I've got now. I've got enough steel for one more pin. Robert, if you need an adapter to copy I can send one of mine but kinda need a quick return since I'll be dead in the water without it.

M1075

I did some consulting work at MCLB-Albany and MCLB-Barstow a few years to improve the process flow for the AAV line. It is pretty impressive how they tear a vehicle down to the frame and rebuld/refurnish. I think we cut the time from about 200 days to 100. Not bad.

rdixiemiller

They have added bridge cranes to the AAV line, that helped even more. I am mainly looking at corrosion control, specifically, pretreatment. I have quite a few years in E-Coat and Powder, first rule is: we paint pre-treat, not metal. They are currently using no pretreat at all.
Kenny
I know the towbars are heavy, but $75 for 6 was too good to pass up. If you can send a picture or 2 of the adapter it would help. I plan on using 4140 for the pins, that should be fine. Usually a grade 8 bolt of the right shank size works as well as anything in a pin application.