• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Voltage issues. Still.

hummer4x4guy

Here is what I've got going. The truck is all back together and I'm getting 30v off the top of the atl. The voltage gauge is showing in the yellow. All lights work just fine as does wiper motor. Battery voltage is about 32v. I don't recall the volts per battery at this moment but I'm trying to figure why I can't seem to get the volts down to 28v. Could the batteries be shot from the old previous bad regulator? Any ideas toss em out guys.

hummer4x4guy

Ah nope I haven't gotten another multimeter but that's what I'll do tomorrow. Is there a good brand that isn't outrageous in cost? No solargizer on the truck. Batteries are optimas.

jeremymx26

A craftsman digital multimeter from Sears should be good and reasonable.

You could try verifying your meter on your civilian vehicle. Should be around 14 volts. Also measuring the voltage of each battery separately then connected in series (engine not running).

Let me know what you come up with.

hummer4x4guy

Thanks Jeremy I'll hit sears tomorrow. And get all the readings and post em. I'll take the truck to work tomorrow and see how it does for a short drive.

m109a2

The is no device made that is better than a fluke I know I make a living with one.Yes you can go to sears and buy a hop sing meter but I try not to buy Chinese crap.Mabe take your batteries out of series and check the voltage one each one.A bad cell or two will tell the voltage regulater to keep charging and cost you a fuel loss.

jeremymx26

Fluke makes a better meter, no doubt about that. Price is usually 3 times higher.

My first meter was a craftsman multimeter that worked well for around 10 years. I also use a multimeter in my workplace.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Charge voltage on a 12 volt system is between 14 and 15 volts depending on the application. For a 24 volt system the range is double at 28 to 30 volts.
13.8 volts at each 12 volt battery will maintain it at full charge.
The higher the voltage, the more often you have to add water to a wet cell battery. Sealed batteries will not like higher voltage and will fail quicker.
These voltages are measured at the battery. Voltage at the alternator will be higher.

jeremymx26

Charge voltage on a 12 volt system is between 14 and 15 volts depending on the application. For a 24 volt system the range is double at 28 to 30 volts.
13.8 volts at each 12 volt battery will maintain it at full charge.
The higher the voltage, the more often you have to add water to a wet cell battery. Sealed batteries will not like higher voltage and will fail quicker.
These voltages are measured at the battery. Voltage at the alternator will be higher.
12 volt system is generally 13.6 to 14.2 volts.
24 volt system is supposed to be 28 volts plus or minus .5 volts.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought we already covered this in you other thread...the only thing you need to trust is the voltage at either Gen or batteries via Mutli-meter, the gauge can be bad or bad ground or connection.
If you have the gen turned all the way down and cannot get it to go below 30v, the gen has issues...replace it.
i have had this issue before....A properly working Gen will allow you to turn it down to darn near the battery voltage IIRC.
As others have stated...over charging will cause issues, way over charging will cook your batteries.
as far as a Meter mfg...I have several, fluke is good, available at even Home Depot, lowes...and I too was bit in the a** by a bad multimeter a while back. I have it for years and I guess finally it just started to give off flaky readings, I cuught on real quick because the numbers just didn't add up, so I went to my trusty 200.00 fluke super duty.

hummer4x4guy

Went to O O O O'Reilley's tested the optima batteries and after 10 years and the abuse they have recently suffered they were shot.
I am replacing them. They had to send a guy to another store to get a 2nd battery for me. I got a feeling this is going to fix the problem.
I'll let has know.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's possible a cell is shorted...but not sure if this will produce the condition you are having.
let us know...the gen puts out what it puts out, so that should read 28.5 or so...refresh my memory, were you getting same at the batteries when you metered there...the 2 should be the same.

hummer4x4guy

New batteries didn't fix the issues. Time for bed and to mull over what the heck the issue is. Perhaps a bad multimeter and that would be great. We shall see.

hummer4x4guy

Looks like the multi meter WAS junk at least the battery was. New battery showed I was way low on voltage setting. Turned it up to 28v but going to buy a quality tester now.

hummer4x4guy

I forgot the batteries were that old! But I think they were replaced once under warranty. So possibly 7 years only. The new multi meter (Klein) did the trick. The old meter was junk. I got the voltage at the regulator at 28v I was getting a smidge under 28v at the batteries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks