• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Voltage output

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First put a volt meter on the batteries when running those gauges are notoriously inaccurate.
Also please stop just randomly replacing parts, it is a very poor way to fix your truck and can lead to multiple issues that you cause along the way and then have hell trying to figure out.
Actually troubleshooting a problem is much more satisfying, gets you much more familiar with your vehicle and will save you many dollars along the way.
Have you even used a volt meter to see if the alternator has the exciter voltage present?
Is it a 60A or 200A alternator?

Kenneth Cole

First put a volt meter on the batteries when running those gauges are notoriously inaccurate.
Also please stop just randomly replacing parts, it is a very poor way to fix your truck and can lead to multiple issues that you cause along the way and then have hell trying to figure out.
Actually troubleshooting a problem is much more satisfying, gets you much more familiar with your vehicle and will save you many dollars along the way.
Have you even used a volt meter to see if the alternator has the exciter voltage present?
Is it a 60A or 200A alternator?

Kenneth Cole

Hi
It is a 60 amp. I had replaced the voltage regulator a couple years ago to fix the same problem. I was thinking that it was a good choice. I was wrong. Anyway, the voltage at the regulator with just the starter switch on was 24 volts. Stayed the same with it running. How do I check the alternator exciter voltage?
Ken

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi
It is a 60 amp. I had replaced the voltage regulator a couple years ago to fix the same problem. I was thinking that it was a good choice. I was wrong. Anyway, the voltage at the regulator with just the starter switch on was 24 volts. Stayed the same with it running. How do I check the alternator exciter voltage?
Ken
It is the lead that goes to a terminal marked excite or IGN
If you have 24V at the alt output with the run switch on you likely have voltage on the IGN terminal as they have the same source but worth a check anyway
If that checks out and the volt meter does not show around 28V running then it is an alt problem.
It could be brushes or something else inside the alt. did you also replace the brushes?

Kenneth Cole

Hi
No, I didn't Replace them this time. I did 2 years ago when I replaced the Regulator.
Is there a way I can check the alternator with it out? Maybe at an auto supply store.
ken

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi
No, I didn't Replace them this time. I did 2 years ago when I replaced the Regulator.
Is there a way I can check the alternator with it out? Maybe at an auto supply store.
ken
Only if you have a rather large alt/starter repair shop nearby, they deal with 24V systems because among other things allot of transit busses are 24V

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is simple though, if you have IGN voltage and measure the output voltage and the alt is turning rapidly and you do not see about 28V on the output the alternator is defective, no need to have it tested