• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Voltage Regulator for MEP-017A

pwc1908

This is for a MEP-017A generator that starts and runs great butI have 176 volts on the 120 volt outlets and all others check out as high also. Because of this I suspect the voltage regulator is bad, if so any ideas where I can get a new, used, or new replacement that will last. The only other thing that I can think of is if someone tried to zig zag it and messed up. Any ideas? Thanks

Isaac-1

Lots of people have used the made in China SX460 clones (available on ebay as well as from numerous generator parts suppliers) on these generators, they seem to work well, and only cost around $40-$80 (real Stamford Newage made in the UK SX460's sell for around $350). Search the board here for any of the numerous message threads on this subject.

Ike

ETN550

I just bought an SX460 for under $40 total and it came direct from China in about 10 days with good instructions. I ended up repairing the existing regulator by soldering in 2 new capacitors for about $0.50 each. This was for a 3kw 016B. The regulator in the 3kw 016B is the same as in the 017 5kw but the connections on the common regulator are different.

Point being check the max current draw on the field winding for the 017 generator (should be somewhere in the manual) and compare it to the SX460 spec which is 4amp continueous or 10amp intermittant max. The 016B field winding was 0.9amp max, if i remember correctly so there is a good chance the SX460 will refit to the 017 just fine. It's way way smaller too so fitting it is easy.

Isaac-1

I am not sure about the amp draw of the MEP-017a, but a number of people have used the SX-460 clones successfully, I assume it is well under the 4 amp rating given the overall similarity of the design with the MEP-016 family.

Ike

derf

I'm a fan of the SX460.

The newer style MEP 3600RPM VRs are not hard to repair, though. You might try the usual suspects, Delks, Saturn Surplus, Gulf Coast Trucks, etc. if you just want to buy an OE unit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks