• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

(WA) To 'Collector Vehicle' or not?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was planning on using it for my M1010, which is going to be a weekend vehicle/camping rig anyway, so I can surely justify it as a 'display' vehicle when I'm camping...

Cheap tabs, don't need to be renewed, no front plate requirement...

All huge bonuses..

Not gonna be used as a daily driver.....

BUT, I hate the way the plates look... My M1009 wears .MIL plates currently, and they almost look like they're supposed to be there, whereas the Collector Vehicle plates are just... crap...

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Special T

I was Just at the DMV yesterday and asked about Collector plates. Here is the WAC 308-96A-074.
The lady i was talking to had put collector plates on a 65 Semi tracto that was refurbushed.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=308-96A-005

The lady i talked to had a conversation about this with a Judge here in Skagit County. The law is VERY vauge as to the meaning. I have been looking for the info she told me, but the vauge catch all wa the "occasional" pleasure driving. I have heard that many people form the Local MV clubs use thier Rides to go camping.

Basically you can't commute in it, haul firewood, gravel or other "commercial" type activites. IMO if you are going camping with other enthusists then it would qualify as some kind of event. I belive that is one of the reasons why it is helpful to join a MV club in the area. Depending upon your location here are a few clubs around.

Special T

[h=2]RCW 46.18.220[/h][h=1]Collector vehicle license plates.[/h]
(1) A registered owner may apply to the department, county auditor or other agent, or subagent appointed by the director for a collector vehicle license plate for a motor vehicle that is at least thirty years old. The motor vehicle must be operated primarily as a collector vehicle and be in good running order. The applicant for the collector vehicle license plate shall:

(a) Purchase a registration for the motor vehicle as required under chapters 46.16A and 46.17 RCW; and

(b) Pay the special license plate fee established under *RCW 46.17.220(1)(d), in addition to any other fees or taxes required by law.

(2) A person applying for a collector vehicle license plate may:

(a) Receive a collector vehicle license plate assigned by the department; or

(b) Provide an actual Washington state issued license plate designated for general use in the year of the vehicle's manufacture.

(3) Collector vehicle license plates:

(a) Are valid for the life of the motor vehicle;

(b) Are not required to be renewed; and

(c) Must be displayed on the rear of the motor vehicle.

(4) A collector vehicle registered under this section may only be used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and occasional pleasure driving.

(5) Collector vehicle license plates under subsection (2)(b) of this section may be transferred from one motor vehicle to another motor vehicle described in subsection (1) of this section upon application to the department, county auditor or other agent, or subagent appointed by the director.

(6) Any person who knowingly provides a false or facsimile license plate under subsection (2)(b) of this section is subject to a traffic infraction and fine in an amount equal to the monetary penalty for a violation of RCW 46.16A.200(7)(b). Additionally, the person must pay for the cost of a collector vehicle license plate as listed in *RCW 46.17.220(1)(d), unless already paid.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone gotten 'restored' plates?

They say I can use a plate for that model year, which means I know I can get an '84 plate, but what about the older all green plates that were still in use in the 80's?

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M-37 / M-42 has a TRUCK license plate AND TAB (you MUST have the tab to use the plate) from 1951. The Truck is a 1952. You can have a plate and tab from one year before or one year after the vehicle was manufactured.

Also you must use a truck plate for a truck and a car plate for a car if they were different at the time.

It's a nice way to go if you don't really use your vehicle very much. I haven't gotten any grief from cops in a long time about my truck and trailer.

Just a side note; the state of Washington does not recognize "historical trailers" so there are no Historical plates for those.

If you decide to go the "Historical Plate" route, and you are interested, I know of a place in California that restores plates and tags to like new condition. It's not cheap, but the plate looks brand new when they return them. I have no connection with the company nor financial interested

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M-37 / M-42 has a TRUCK license plate AND TAB (you MUST have the tab to use the plate) from 1951. The Truck is a 1952. You can have a plate and tab from one year before or one year after the vehicle was manufactured.
Are they that smart to know the difference?

Can I get a '62 plate (all green with white lettering) and put an '84 tab on it to look legit, instead of getting an '82-? Plate (all white, with green lettering)

Are they actually gonna go look in the book and say that tag is too old? From what I understand ( I could be wrong), they actually put the tag into the system as belonging to your car, but as a secondary, so if they run it, it comes back as nothing, but it's on your reg paper...

I'd be OK with an all green plate on a green truck, heh.. I just don't want this hideous white thing...

For reference...

wa-85-hwv882.jpg

wa-62-paf314.jpg

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they know the difference.

They are bureaucrats; they will go by the book. They WILL NOT DEVIATE. They will DELAY as opposed to DECIDE.

They will see the year of your vehicle from the title. They will look up the license plate from that year. The plate and the tab will have to be from that year (plus or minus one year) and that is it.

You can try, and Good Luck; but don't be surprised if you get turned down.

Who knows; maybe you'll get lucky.

Storm 51

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is not my intention to dispute or correct anyone. I was simply relating my experience. Yours may have been different.

My apologies if you precieved my post as correcting you.

Storm 51

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is not my intention to dispute or correct anyone. I was simply relating my experience. Yours may have been different.

My apologies if you precieved my post as correcting you.

Storm 51
Hahah.... I'm not one for being pc. You have more experience in this arena than I do, hence why I was asking. I'll defer to your experience. Feel free to correct me.

I'm still gonna try and slide one by them..heh... the plates are like 10 a pair...if I can swing it...the plates will be all but invisible. If I can't. .meh...only a couple bucks wasted..

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
For those who qualify, there is another possible option: Farm exempt. That's what we did with our M923. There is a one time fee of nine dollars for lifetime registration. No restrictions on what I can carry in the bed or how often I drive it, and I don't have to have an ugly license plate anywhere on the vehicle. One small sticker on the back and good to go. The only real caveat is that technically, anytime I drive it, it's supposed to be for some farm-specific use. You can imagine all the legitimate farm-related excuses I can come up with to take the truck out.

Downside is that it has limited range. The WA DMV website says 150 mile radius from home address, but when I got mine, the clerk told me 35 miles. Since ours never goes more than 10 miles from home farm, I haven't taken the time to find out which is correct. To exceed the distance limit requires purchase of a trip permit, which is $25 and can be done several times a month.

If you don't want that ugly license plate, and you can squeeze by in the farm definition, and you don't mind the distance limitation, farm exempt might be worth looking into.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
restoredPlate.jpg

Here are WA rules for what Storm is talking about.
You can not put an 84 sticker on a non-84 plate according to rules.
But you could always get an older vehicle.

Restored plates

A restored license plate is a Washington-issued license plate that was designed for use in the year of the vehicle’s manufacture. The restored license plate may be used on an antique or collector vehicle instead of a standard license plate or Horseless Carriage license plate.
Requirements

For vehicles

To use restored plates, vehicles must be:

• A collector vehicle over 30 years old, or an antique vehicle (horseless carriage) over 40 years old.
  • Owned and operated as collector vehicles.
  • Capable of operating on the highway.
For purchasing and renewing restored license plates

Restored license plates:

• Must be original, and in good condition so they can be identified with their year of issue. Reproductions can’t be used as restored license plates.
  • May be assigned to currently registered passenger vehicles, motorcycles, or trucks.
  • Are good for the life of vehicle (Don’t need to be renewed annually).
  • May be purchased at any licensing office. You must provide the restored plates.
For using restored license plates

• Restored license plates must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. If you provide a set of plates, you may display one on the front and the other on the back of the vehicle.
  • You don’t need to display month/year tabs on restored plates.
  • Vehicles with restored license plates:
    • May be driven:
      • To and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings.
      • For testing purposes.
      • For the pleasure of others without compensation.
    • May not be used for:
      • Commercial purposes or to carry a load.
      • Regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle.

The info is here: http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/sprestored.html

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Says tabs aren't required, and says "A restored license plate is a Washington-issued license plate that was designed for use in the year of the vehicle’s manufacture."

A strict view would mean that only from that year.

A common sense rule would mean that it must use a plate series during that vehicle manufacturer year, Ie if the car is an 84 and the series plates ran from 82 to 89 than any plate from 82 to 89 should be good.

A loose rule would mean that you can use any year plate, provided it WAS issued for a vehicle in that year, IOTW, the new rule requiring plates me changed every X years would preclude you from using a plate that's too new (or too old) as the vehicle would have been required to change it.

I HAVE seen 60s and 70s plates with 80s tabs.. Not a lot, but a few.. which indicates that they were in use in the 80s...

I'm well aware of what the LAW says, but it's pretty vague, and seems to be a lot of room for individual decisions.

I'm still gonna try a 60's plate first, and if they don't let me, I'll go with an 80's plate..........

Maybe I should bring some coffee and donuts in first.. :p

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, to update the situation......

Walked into Pierce County Auditor's office/annex with plates and 2000's tabs. The lady behind the counter took 2 minutes to verify they were the correct color, and gave me a new registration showing they were permanent, no renewal, and ......no tabs required..

So, according to Pierce County, common sense wins over....

If the license plate is of the same style of the year in which it was produced, you're good. IOTW, I have an '84, so as long as I use a license plate of the same style (Ie, 82-89, as an example, probably incorrect), then I'm good.

So, for those wishing to do so, it might be a good idea.... It was painless, and it took about 10 minutes.

HUGE bonus for me, I ended up finding some good tags on CL, they're the correct style green on white, and have US-#### as the characters, how lucky is that?!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks