• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wait to start light, other questions

Milbikes

I looked at a M1008, and it was somewhat warmed up before I got there. Seller says it needs a jump to start when cold (Old batteries). So, I don't know what it starts like when cold. When I started it, the wait to start light didn't light up, and the truck started ok. It had a very high idle. The idle was still high after driving 5 minutes or so (And already somewhat warm). Should the wait to start light have come on at least for a small time? I think I need to the truck when it is stone-cold, but that is another long ride for me. Anything else I should watch out for while checking it out? Thanks.

mistaken1

The wait to star light should not come on when it is warm. It should come on when cold and you should here/feel the solenoid engaging. You should also see the voltmeter drop down when the glow plugs are energized.

mark69k20

May be tring to cover up a ruff idle... injectors or pump issue.
If you are serious when you go back to buy it tell him not to touch it. If it is nice and cold you should be able to see the wait light, set the cold start solenoid and watch your glow plugs cycle through your volt meter then watch it heat up and idle down. Adjust the idle down as it warms up to see if it sputters bad. Then go with your gut after driving it.:driver:Good luck!!

ralbelt

It will probably at minimun need glow plugs, which is why it is also hard starting when cold. Not a deal breaker, fairly easy fix. It should idle down after 4-5 min run time from dead cold of about 30-35 degrees F.
What does the exhaust look like, white,blue, black, clear? Also what does the exhaust smell like?
How does it shift hard or smoothe, and at what speeds?

After that just remember its 25 years old and will need TLC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks