• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Waking a MV from a deeeeeep sleep...

neil2007

Hello All! I've recently become the owner of my first (with many more to come eventually) MV. At least I believe it qualifies to be called an MV. It's a 53 Reo M44 530 B!

Being a new member to the Steel Soldiers site, I'd like to say a big THANKYOU to all those who have served in all of the past, present and future conflicts. After sitting in the background for the last couple of weeks just watching all the posts, I'd like to say that I'm proud to be associated with this site and all of it's members.

Now with that being said, now on to the question at hand.

I know that there have already been plenty of posts on waking a sleeping MV from a long slumber (My 530's been sleeping for about 15years now.. :shock: ) but my question is a little different.

What I'm looking for is a quick list of common issues (other than normal maintenance items like oil, plugs, fuel, batteries, etc...) that people have experienced while trying to wake the sleeping duece and a half's up from long slumber...

The issue at hand is the starter spins but doesn't engage. I've got 24 vlts at the solenoid and all the wires look good to that point... I'm guessing that it's just the starter itself needing to be removed freed up and reinistalled...

I'd just like to hear if this is a common problem or if this is unique to mine. I'd also love to know if there are any other common issues people have had trying to wake the dead (ahh... Sleeping, yeah Sleeping :lol: ) MV's.

Oh, one more thing, and this is a flat out Newbie Question... Is a M44 firetruck considered and MV or does it fall under it's own catagory? I've not found alot of references to the Firetrucks on our site, but then again from my understanding theres not too many of them left around anyway....

Thanks again for everyones input on this and the many posts I'll post in the future!

Neil

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Neil, when I brought my m62 wrecker home, thats all that needed to get it to start on its own. I took out the starter, took it apart, cleaned up the contacts, and added some lube to the bearings and slidy parts. Now it works all the time. I needed to drop the front(axle end) of the driveshaft to get it out. I'll have to let the rest of the guys chime in for the rest of your questions. Welcome to the site.

Cooltex24

Hey Neil,
Where did you find one of those? I am looking to get one also, and they are hard to find. Hope you enjoy yours.
Scott

neil2007

O.k.... Ya'll want pics..... I've got pics.... (I'll post a few in this reply... Is there a rule of thumb as to how many can I post at one time to the site or does it really not matter?)

Here ya go! Well... Maybe... I've tried adding the photos, but they do not show up in the preview... SO, if they do not show up when I actually submit this reply, I will try again and again until at last I succeeed!

Neil

neil2007

Re: RE: Waking a MV from a deeeeeep sleep...

Cooltex24 said:
Hey Neil,
Where did you find one of those? I am looking to get one also, and they are hard to find. Hope you enjoy yours.
Scott
I got very lucky when I happened across a guy who had it sitting right next to his house for 15 years and just wanted it gone! He had appearantly been trying to get it hauled off for some time...So we did our standard bargaining and so fourth... I just happened to have the ability to haul it off which was a really good card to hold! The next day I had it gone with all the paperwork underway!

As to whether or not they are hard to find, I'd have to say yes.... I've never seen one like this at all... It's got all the standard Fire gear, hoses, etc... and it has the personel heater and is a gasser model. I'm really looking foward to this project!

Neil

neil2007

Re: RE: Waking a MV from a deeeeeep sleep...

gimpyrobb said:
Neil, when I brought my m62 wrecker home, thats all that needed to get it to start on its own. I took out the starter, took it apart, cleaned up the contacts, and added some lube to the bearings and slidy parts. Now it works all the time. I needed to drop the front(axle end) of the driveshaft to get it out. I'll have to let the rest of the guys chime in for the rest of your questions. Welcome to the site.
Thanks for the welcome! I had a feeling that this could be a possibility... Looks like I'll try that next.

Thanks again!

Neil

neil2007

acetomatoco

RE: Re: RE: Waking a MV from a deeeeeep sleep...

Oh boy, another gasser.. Yes it is a MV and there are MV fire truck gurus lurking here.. I have some parts for you, like a generator, distributor cap, front exhaust pipe, muffler,..etc.. all the brake parts are the same as the later models.. I also have all the filters you need and stuff like that... welcome..

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
neil2007 said:
O.k.... Ya'll want pics..... I've got pics.... (I'll post a few in this reply... Is there a rule of thumb as to how many can I post at one time to the site or does it really not matter?)

Here ya go! Well... Maybe... I've tried adding the photos, but they do not show up in the preview... SO, if they do not show up when I actually submit this reply, I will try again and again until at last I succeeed!

Neil
You probably need to resize the pictures. I think there is a 1 MB limit.

neil2007

doghead said:
neil2007 said:

Neil
You probably need to resize the pictures. I think there is a 1 MB limit.
Yeah... I tried that... BUT I FIGURED IT OUT! APPEARANTLY, the extension has to be in lower case (.jpg) not upper case (.JPG). Figured this out in the testing forum... That's a pretty handy tool!

Thanks for the suggestion! Yes... your right. I had them down to about 300k which is still really large for a jpg.

Neil

neil2007

Re: RE: Re: RE: Waking a MV from a deeeeeep sleep...

acetomatoco said:
Oh boy, another gasser.. Yes it is a MV and there are MV fire truck gurus lurking here.. I have some parts for you, like a generator, distributor cap, front exhaust pipe, muffler,..etc.. all the brake parts are the same as the later models.. I also have all the filters you need and stuff like that... welcome..
Thank you! Just got done moving into my first house, first real shop, and now my first real MV! COOOL!!! Unfortunately things are gonna be real tight for a while, but it'll all be worth it!

Glad to hear that there are gurus out there for the gassers and not to mention the Firetruck versions!

Neil

neil2007

Re: RE: Re: RE: Waking a MV from a deeeeeep sleep...

Barrman said:
Looks good. What engine does it have?
It appears to have the 331 Gold Comet gasser. Looks to be pretty much all there... I have noticed that it has a cracked exhaust manifold and is missing the elbow from the filter to the carb. Alot of the piping has been removed from the tanks to the pumps, but other than that I believe it is all there...

Neil

neil2007

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Waking a MV from a deeeeeep sleep...

doghead said:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=97 more info on posting pics I'm not sure if the 1 MB # is correct but I know that if you resize to 640 x 480 you should be fine.
Thanks for the link... It helped out alot. I'm sure that it may also be because I'm sure it wasn't 640x480... It was alot bigger... I'll adjust it to 640x480 for the next ones I post later. I'll try to snap some good shots of it as it sits at the house now.

Neil

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Waking a MV from a deeeeeep slee

COOL! I like what I see in the three pics!(links) Makes me want one too! (the wish-list grows again):drool:

Ps. Welcome to SS!

Barrman

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Waking a MV from a deeeeeep sleep...

I figured Gasser, but wanted to make sure it hadn't been swapped out before I got all excited about another one.

I had mine buried to the steps in mud Saturday and that engine just wanted me to get into it harder to try and get out. I was real impressed with the grunt of it.

Congratulations.

Chirs is right about the starter. Pull it off, clean and lube it and put it back together.

Mine sat since 1981 before I brought it home in December. Pull the plugs, put oil in there, let it sit, change the engine oil, turn it over on the starter without the plugs until you get oil psi (Do it in 10-12 second burst), put the plugs in, check the points and put fuel to it.

A trick I used because the tank was all gumed up was put a Gerry can on the drivers running board holder and run a line from it to the fuel pump right there on the side of the engine. You will notice the fuel pump has a primer lever. Pump in until you hear gas going in the carb and fire it up. Oh, change your axle, transmisison and t-case oil before you do much moving around with it. Mine were an amazing rainbow of colors after sitting 20+ years.

neil2007

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Waking a MV from a deeeeeep

doghead said:
COOL! I like what I see in the three pics!(links) Makes me want one too! (the wish-list grows again):drool:

Ps. Welcome to SS!
Thanks for the welcome...

I'm gonna try to get it up closer to the shop this week and start pressure washing all the mold/mildew/moss/barnicles/etc.. off of it and start to really look at what it's going to take to get it up and moving under it's own power...

Neil