• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wanted: M1010 Ignition Control Box

blackdog

It's another one of those things that I'm not completely sure about (I was just told that I need to find one). It's M1010 specific, and when looking into the engine compartment from the front of the vehicle it is located on the right hand side in the front next to the right headlight.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the regulator for the rechargng system. Didn't the 200A have a seperate regualtor?

TacticalTruck

Yes Kenny, there's two blue boxes up there. I can't remember right now which does what job but they never work right. They were made by Sure-Power. I have a diagnostic manual from them. CUCVfan needs to jump in here. He's had his head much deeper into it. He has had some sucess getting the system to work but every one I've seen cooks one battery while the other goes dead. Some shelter carrier M1028s also had the 200amp system.
Jeff

Michael

If you are talking about the blue box on the drivers side, it is the voltage regulator. There is a lot of info on this site about this. Basically the M1010 has two 28v alternators, one charges both batteries and one is regulated down by the blue box to charge the front battery or if the 28v load is high enough to provide power for that. It is very hard to get it to work right and unless you are restoring a show truck, I would do something else. If you can find a NOS one, you will have to pay hundreds of dollars for it. A more modern replacement is available. Several solution were discussed here in the past.

After much adjustments and going through both -20 and -34 TMs I got mine to not overcharge the back battery and to keep the front battery form going dead but it is never really fully charged either. I occasionally put a battery charger on it.

Michael

M1028A1ShelterCarrier, how did you hook yous up? Did you keep both alternators and just replace the original voltage regulator or did you eliminate one of the alternators?

acetomatoco

Simple way is to use one of the leece neville alternators with the internal regulator and eliminate the third regulator..under normal conditions your batteries will remain semi balanced unless you are using the heated filtered air set up in the back and other stuff all the time.. Or you can just use one alternatorfrom the M1009 and convert your starter to 12V and hook up the glow plugs manually as 12V. t00. as all the rest of the truck is 12V anyway...Lots of M1010s burned up because of that ratty blue box...I had one where the inside of the fender was charred and the box was a lump of charcoal..not pretty.