• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wanting to buy one but he said it is stuck in low.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it could be a small problem, a medium sized problem or a big problem.

It may not even have a problem.

It's impossible to diagnose this from one picture and your description.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And please attach pictures, not link them.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could be as simple as a issue with the air lines / air shift cylinders or a major issue in the transfer case . at worst a used transfer case swap would fix it if a major problem . Without diagnosing it all we can do is guess.

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site, Hobby, And 'adventures' to come. Tap talk pictures are terrible. It Looks an OK truck, It will look good with TLC and paint. However, If nothing else is wrong with the truck, (and the jib retracts,) Providing it is road legal (and for you to drive with the correct documentation etc), And you only live a mile or so from where it is at, simply drive it home in low range. Keep to 2000 RPM. (you can keep below if it sounds revy, just drive comfortable). Do the 'fix' later. This of course begs the question as to what price you won it for with 'faults found'.
If it has been backed up from the incorrect gear, it might have 'wind up', so firm (not ridiculous)pressure on the shifter while moving forward in 1st gear (ONLY!) And "rocking" the clutch Might pop the sticking transfer. If it moves freely in the range it is in now it might well need attention to the transfer. Good luck. Post results of the problem and fix with pictures.

Northsquirrel

It's gonna be a long drive from where I live to where the truck is. (1288 miles) and I'll add some more pictures and videos. I'm asking because the truck is only $4500 and if I have to a transfer case is about a $1000. So it'll still be cheaper than buying one off of auction websites or other places.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It's gonna be a long drive from where I live to where the truck is. (1288 miles) and I'll add some more pictures and videos. I'm asking because the truck is only $4500 and if I have to a transfer case is about a $1000. So it'll still be cheaper than buying one off of auction websites or other places.

$4500 plus fuel, tools, chase car, spare parts, tires and wheels, Recoveries aren't cheap. Sometimes it is easier to just have it hauled. It will fit on a Stepdeck which isn't too costly. Then factor in your tolls for the route. Best sometimes to just sit at home and let it come to you. You may only make it 5 miles before an issue. or No issue or who knows what if its even safe to be on the road. If its stuck in low there is no way your driving it very far.

Northsquirrel

Yeah I can see you point.... I've been asking around because if it isn't that that expensive to just get a new transfer case then I would like to drive it home but if it is, then I will try to find out about it.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shift linkage may simply be frozen. Do not assume anything.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Unless you know that the transfer case is good do not drive it home, at close to 36,000 lbs = the BIG hook which = BIG $

Guyfang

Staff member
How familiar are you with this model truck/wrecker? If you haven't driven this model before, (or one very similar) like in the military, and have lots of experience, then please do get the operators TM's, and read them through several times.

This particular model, brings a memory right to mind. Someone called me because he could not get his wrecker to roll. A unit picking up equipment, for the second round of the great Sand Box wars. I showed up, looked at the transfer shifter, then looked in the rear, for the OTHER transfer shifter, and put the transfer back in gear. And then drove it around the parking lot. While 10-15 people looked on. Not one of them had any idea what I did.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks