• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warm up time?...First start of morning...

Asmoday

I'm curious warm kind of warm up time everyone tends to give their trucks before they actually drive off from home in the AM. I know it's not good to let the trucks idle for long periods but what is considered a viable warm up time before driving off? Obviously ambient temp is a factor but is there a rule of thumb on diesels?

I know on my Audi S4 the unwritten rule is to wait for the fast idle to drop and always the "German Car 2 minute rule"...wait 2 min before getting on it or driving off.

I've never had a diesel before and was curious....:)

In my helo world we always monitor trans and turbine oil temp before we pull pitch...

Reverend Evil

As for my M1008 I just wait till the high idle shuts off and then take here nice and easy but i also have a 7 mile drive down a slow twisty dirt road that even if i wanted to top speed is about 20mph . So by the time i get to the Highway I am good to go. Also for the Idle time on a diesel my understanding is it is ok for them to idle longer than a gasser not really sure why but have been told is not that bad for them. I hope I have been told correct but if not I will be corrected here. :mrgreen:

blybrook

I don't have a MV, but I do have a diesel. When it is below 0*F, I let it drop from high idle (~10 min) before I leave the yard, then keep it in 2nd gear until I get to the main road (about a mile). I'm good to go after that. When it is above 0*F, I'll start it before clearing off the snow (as appropriate) and let it idle for 3-5 minutes.

When it is colder than -30*F (like it has been this past week); I put the transfer case in neutral, transmission in 1st or reverse, with the wheels blocked, and let it drop from high idle plus 5-10 minutes before pulling out of the yard. This gets the fluids in the transmission and t-case a little warmer and easier to shift; which is helpful at very cold temps. If it is -40*F or colder, I'll give it high idle + 20 minutes with the trans in gear as above. I have let it idle with the trans in gear & t-case in neutral for upto an hour when it was brutally cold and had to get other things warmed up before leaving. Some parts really don't like the cold.

It looks like you are in a warmer climate, so 3-5 minutes would probably be fine.

Barrman

High idle on the CUCV trucks turns of when the sensor at the outside rear of the passenger head "thinks" the coolant has hit 75°. So, while not close to operating temperature. It is better than -05°. Take it easy or let it sit for another minute should be all you have to do in normal weather.

I personally don't move the truck in the summer until the after glowing is done and the volt meter is all the way into the green. No matter what the fast idle is doing. Winter I wait to move until the fast idle is off and then idle down my 1/2 mile dirt road before I give it more than enough to move throttle.

Reverend Evil

So for the unanswered question is it ok to let your 6.2 or any other diesel idle for extended periods of time ... say 30 min to an hour? I kinda get to cheat on the cold idle as I live in Florida and it is 77 outside today.

cucv1833

So for the unanswered question is it ok to let your 6.2 or any other diesel idle for extended periods of time ... say 30 min to an hour? I kinda get to cheat on the cold idle as I live in Florida and it is 77 outside today.

30- min to 1hr I dont think thats a problem. When I was in the sevice we had a HMMVEE with a 6.2 we let idle for days as needed. Im not saying thats a good idea though.
My M1009 is not a daily driver so when I use it Im not in a rush and let it warm up to full operating Temp. 10 mins. I have a temp gauge in my truck.

Heres some more threads on this subject.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/62171-idiling.html?highlight=idle+time

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/66903-wait-drive-how-long.html?highlight=idle+time

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks