• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Washable Filters?

Barrman

One of the perks of getting the correct M35 fuel filters compared to the WIX 3511 and 3512 filters is that supposedly the military ones are cleanable.

I am using a M35 secondary fuel filter set to filter my WMO. I have a little bit of water in one of the drums. I of course didn't know it was there until flow stopped through the filters. Both are now chocolate milk clogged. I was pumping with the first filters drain cracked and when water came out, I opened it up all the way, thinking that would keep the water off the filter. It didn't.

The filter housing had two of the open filter elements that I believe is the NOS military type. Compared to the steel mesh encased 86512 filters I picked up this morning at Carquest.

So, which one is "correct" and how do you clean them? I will clean the cans with Varsol or the modern day equivalent. What do I use on the filters?

I figure this will be good to know for the proverbial cold rainy night far from home when the filters on the truck clog up and I can't go more than 3 mph. Besides saving money on filters for my refueling operation at home.

Thanks.

wvhillbilly

try this

There are 2 products I would suggest. CRC products #5089 Brakleen, or
Berkbile's #B101 Gum Cutter Carb. Cleaner. Brakleen evaporates quick, but
Gum Cutter is stronger...pick your poison. J. Hill, Fisher Auto Parts store manager.

jasonjc

The military used alot of filter some are claenable most are not. The cleanable ones are like string or some I think are like hard pores chreamic or some thing (I could be way off on that thought) Most are just a pletaed paper type some have a metal outer case some don't it depens on the brand. Remember the military buys from the LOWEST bidder right or wrong.

dabtl

I think it better to wait around for jatonka to get his secondary spin on filters out for sale to eliminate dirty fuel going into the engine.

I know cleaning seems like a good idea, but the cost of spin on filters is so low that having new rust free filters far exceeds anything a cleaned filter in a rusty can will provide.

You might try powder coating the inside of the filter cans to eliminate rust, however. Just seems like a lot of trouble to me.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have only had one cleanable filter in all the trucks I've had...at least I don't think the majority were cleanable. The one filter that was reusable was a ceramic type just as described above by JASONJC. It was the first time I had seen one so I pulled it and replaced it with a stock mil-spec filter. I did keep the filter just in case and only found out later it was reusable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks