• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Washing your air filter

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have this funny operating manuel booklet. It mentions there as one option that you can also wash your filter with some detergent. Does that still hold true and if yes, how long should you dry it?

My filter says it was made in 1986, inside is still white but from the outside the dust and sand is falling of it when you drop it softly on the floor. Did so a lot of times and vacumcleaned it also untill not much dust came of. Should be still ok or time to replace as well?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have heard of washing them. I think there is a PS magazine article about it too. I have not done it, but think I will with a spare deuce filter since I have a few of them sitting here. Wonder if there is a way to test air flow before and after.

jollyroger

I have heard, not confirmed, that there is a "washable" air filter element for the M-35. I thought I had one in my deuce. We washed it with soap and water in a bucket like we were supposed to. The paper in the filter fell apart and opened up big holes. Filter was done. So I obviously don't know how to tell the difference. So before you go that route have a spare ready willing able to go. I would just use the compressed air or vacuum like you did.

roscoe

I washed one. Didn't notice any problems - its currently just for a spare. I'm sure it depends on the brand of filter. I blow them off periodically with an air compressor between changes.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard of washing them. I think there is a PS magazine article about it too. I have not done it, but think I will with a spare deuce filter since I have a few of them sitting here. Wonder if there is a way to test air flow before and after.
The "clogged air cleaner" gauge by the steering wheel column is actually a vacumm gauge maxing out (showing red) at about 20 inches of water.
If you want a more accurate indication, install a Magnehelic type gauge in the same air line and measure the result for a before and after wash. The filter will have to be installed, of course and measurement made under the same conditions of engine load etc. I have posted images of my installed Magnehelic some years ago.

Yes, do a search in the PS mag section and you'll find the procedure for washing.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just facinated by that option, would not try it, and you need to dry the filter quite long I would imagine.

Anyway, I also think it's about bloody time to replace all fuel, air, and oil filters and all lubricants anyway. As far as I know, nobody did that since 1986.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've washed alot of paper filters on heavy equipment. It's common practice on big expensive filters. It get's it alot cleaner than blowing it out. Just wash it, rinse it out good, and let it sit for a day so it dries out good.