• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water cans on fender?

i have an m1123 and i was considering mounting a jerry can mount on top of the fenders in the 4 man configuration. i have 2 aluminum holders off of a water filtration trailer and each on can hold 4 scepter cans. if i were to mount that on a rear fender can the aluminum body take the weight of the 4 cans? will i rip through the body when off road? it’s either ri do this idea or i put short rails up but i like the idea of extra water when out in the middle of nowhere.

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it depends on how you mount it.
One bolt in each corner might not be strong enough overall and eventually rip out
Making sure all the bolts go through reinforced areas, or adding reinforcement plates underneath I don't think you'll have issues.

Crapgame

The troop seats do have those two lengths of U shaped brackets underneath to help distribute the weight.

Some of the 4 man A2 and ECV trucks being sold on GP have a reinforcement plate on top the rear fenders, some with MFC/MWC brackets, some with the old style 81mm M821 HE brown aluminum ammo can bolted on top for GP storage.
ECV Fender Plate.jpg

Or get a piece of 1/8" or 3/16" aluminum diamond tread plate cut to reinforce the fenders like the SOCOM GMV Gun Trucks:

Fender Plate.jpg

But your can bracket base looks more than substantial enough to bear 140-195lbs extra weight distributed over XX square feet.

Keesyman

I have mounted 4 jerry can holders on top of mine, but also have aluminum diamond plate covers over the rear fenders. I stripped and reprimed/painted the mounts with Rapco #112 primer and #383 green paint.
I mounted with galvanized 3/8" with stainless lock nuts and 1/8" heavy fender washers (primed and painted #931) and then 3/8 washers also. I made a uhmw 1/8" spacer to put between the can holder and diamond plate to keep from metal on metal wear. Siliconed up the fender washers and holes and sandwiched all down tight. Honestly think I could tow a car with them. rock solid, have 2 of water and 2 of fuel scepter cans. Been mounted over 16 months, no motion or wiggle.image-20210418_144504.jpg20221007_114133.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks