• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

water in rear diff.

bht50

So I was checking my fluids in my 1008 and noticed the rear differential had gray colored fluid with air bubbles (lots of water in the gear oil). So I took the rear cover off and drained the old oil which was really nasty, cleaned the magent and refilled with Valvoline gear oil. Then I noticed the rubber vent line on top of the diff. was not connected. It had dry rotted and came off which is how the water got in. I replaced the line and reconnected it to the vent on the bottom of the truck bed. I dont have any idea how long it had been like that since I just got the truck a couple of months ago and just now got around to checking everything on it. I dont think it did any damage every thing seems to work fine but its just a good reminder that when you get a new vehicle to always give it a good once over.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good advice, bht50. Always good to check the fluids, especially on new vehicles, BUT ALSO after you use your rig hard, just to make sure nothing got messed up. I got back after offroading at Rausch Creek this October, checked all the fluids and stuff, and saw the rear axle drain plug had backed out, and was only held in by one or two threads. There wasn't much gear oil left in the pumpkin. Not sure how it happened, but it was tight before I left for the event, and somehow it loosened up.

PM, people, PM....

randyscycle

Reminds me of my Deuce when I got it. Both front boots were torn and the knuckles were full of a mix of sand and grease and water. The front diff was full of water and gear oil mixed, and the bearings all had been wet too. Total mess that I am glad I didn't drive before fixing.

rfischba1

I had the same issues with a couple of CUCV's I bought, I cleaned out the rear and replaced the gaskets, filled with gear gear oil. Best to change all fluids on these old trucks.

mistaken1

Good advice, bht50. Always good to check the fluids, especially on new vehicles, BUT ALSO after you use your rig hard, just to make sure nothing got messed up. I got back after offroading at Rausch Creek this October, checked all the fluids and stuff, and saw the rear axle drain plug had backed out, and was only held in by one or two threads. There wasn't much gear oil left in the pumpkin. Not sure how it happened, but it was tight before I left for the event, and somehow it loosened up.

PM, people, PM....
Sabotage?