• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water proofing a 5 ton

BIGNICK

Can anyone give me some pointers and or advice as to what needs to be water proofed or air vents relocated to a higher location on an m818? Thanks!!! And yes include the obvious!!! :?:

papercu

How deep are you going?
M809 series vehicles can ford hard bottom water crossings up to 30 inches (76.2 centimeters) without a deepwater fording kit, and 78 inches (198.1 centimeters) with the kit. Wayne

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is in the "kit" will probably depend on the year of the truck and what your "kit" comes with depending on when it was made. I can only speak of the deuce kits but would think the 5 tons are very similar. In the 50's they checked/modified everything you could think of. The last ones only had about half a dozen parts and never did anything with axle vents ect. If you look at page 290 on the -10 that was shown there isn't much there (but then again it's the operational manual not how to install it. In comparison look at the 1965 deuce manual and it breaks fording kits into 3 categories-gassers, multi's with low exhaust, and the A2's. There are huge differences depending on the year, with less and less having to be modified as they got newer.:wink:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a kit for the 50 series on my M52. You will need a regulator,flapper valve and fittings to pressurize the bellhousing first. This keeps the clutch dry so it won't slip. You will also need to plumb a vent tube from the sprag shifter valves on top of the tranny. So water won't enter and keep the transfercase sparag fromworking. Also you will need a vent tube from the brake booster air pack to keep water out when the brakes arn't applied. install it where the air vents when the brakes are released. There are one way air vents on the axles, tranny, and transfercase. But they rarely work. Put vent lines up higher on those.