• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

water temp sending unit

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a temperature sensitive resistor, which is grounded to the engine. It measures about 4,500 ohms at room temp and decreases as temp increases.

Alexander

Can anyone tell me if the oil pressure gauge works the same way? My gauge (I hope not the pump) is very erratic. I think it's the 0-60 unit.

SixBuy

According to tha magnificent wiring diagram Peter Bog did, the oil pressure gauge works the same way; i.e. the sending unit is grounded and the gauge is hot. In fact , all four gauges have a common 24 V feed point - something to remember when things don't work right! I can't speak to the resistance of sending unit.

SixBuy

Peter Bog did an AutoCad redraw of the diagram that appears in the paper TM. He did a magnificent job and there was talk of posting it in another thread. You may want to do a search of the last few months and see if/where it was posted. I assume his intent was to distribute it freely so if you don't find anything PM me and I'll see what I can do.

JasonS

This is from the reo oa331 engine and clutch overhaul manual:

"Using constant current control, set at 26.8 each (??? mA), voltmeter reading must be 18.4 to 19.6V with unit in water at 200f having minimum flow of 10fpm past the unit and with power on form a minimum of 6 minutes." Not easily duplicated by the DIYfer. Assuming the 26.8 is milliamps, that means 687 to 731 ohms at 200F. The best way to verify a gauge is to get a meat thermometer from your local store.

Oil pressure sender:
60lb unit
0 psi = 0.0 to 1.0 ohm
15 psi = 2.75 to 3.5 ohm
30 psi = 14.5 to 16.5 ohm
60 psi = 28.0 to 31.0 ohm

120lb unit
0 psi = 0.0 to 1.0 ohm
10 psi = 1.5 to 3.0 ohm
70 psi = 16.5 to 18.5 ohm

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks