• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

We made it home!

Lax

Juat a quick update and a thank you to everyone that have helped me so far. I got my new duce home this afternoon from Ft. Drum in Watertown, NY. It was a great day and the duce ran all 150 miles home without a problem.... almost. The only proublem I have is that it is leaking oil from the "bell housing" area and it looks like the oil filters too. It is leaking pretty good but when I chcked the oil level when I got home it still showed a little over the full line on the dip stick so I must not have been lossing that much. :roll: The oil pressure stayed at around 30 to 40 (per the gage) the whole time. I hope that is okay.

Other then that everything went reall well. Now I have to look into a little body work and a paint job (no idea on cost) and I'm all set. Thanks again everone. I have attached a copy of a photo of my truck and my "crew". :lol:

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you made it home OK! As each hour passed I checked my cell for messages. I just keeped thinking no call means your still trucking! You didn't stop at the rest stop in Central Square did you? (ha ha ha) congrats on a successful run home. [thumbzup]

Lax

I know it looks like a pretty mottly looking crew but they really knew what they were doing. It was not until later during the trip home I asked them how they knew so much about M35s and how to get them running so well... They all looked at me and asked what is an M35? I said the truck your are riding in! Oh they said. "We've never even been in one of these big trucks before....we were just takeing a tour of Ft. Drum when we saw you working on this truck and thought we would help you. Yah, but we all stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night!....." rofl

PS. Thanks Eric! There were a few minuets I was close to calling you but we figured it out okay. :wink:

houdel

Very nice looking truck! Vinyl cover (but you need to hook up the bungee cord to the rearmost tie-down hook), hardtop, I assume troop seats, cargo tie downs inside the bed, paint doesn't even look too bad. The photo doesn't show it from the right side, maybe you got lucky and have a personnel heater, air shift and springer seat too?

Would you be so kind as to show a couple of close-ups of the cargo tie downs from both the inside and outside? I bought a set for my truck and would like t0 install them but don't have a clue.

BTW, repainting over CARC is a real PITA. CARC absorbs anything you apply over it like a sponge. I assume you aren't going to sand blast it, so about all you can do is sand the crap out of it untill you get down to the underlying primer or an earlier level of non CARC paint. No need to get down to bare metal (except for rusted spots), just get down to a solid layer of underlaying paint. I use a Black and Decker "Mouse" palm sander and "Sandblaster" silicone carbide paper. The silicone carbide paper doesn't fill up and get clogged like regular granet (sp?) paper and lasts about 5-10 times as long as standard "sandpaper". Good Luck on your project..

BTW, think about installing a boost gauge and pyrometer. That way you can turn up the fuel and get a fair amount more power without melting your turbo!