• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weak wiper motor

Drabbed Out

First off please remove or move post if it belongs on another thread or has already been stated. Now on to the problem and fix. I have a 1986 m1009. I have had a weak wiper motor that would frequently not work at all leaving me without wipers all winter in eastern washington state. Needless to say it has been a problem. It warmed up enough finally to hit the local junkyard. I found it reasonably difficult to locate the wiper needed. (one with the water lines on the top left corner and the smaller motor on the bottom angled to the right) I did however find numerous ones on suburbans and trucks with the exact wiper motor minus the tubes on the top left. Solution.....I took the newer style one. I had to take the jug too because it had the pump in it instead of the older style with it in the unit. The plug with the black and grey wires goes to same location on either old or new as well as the bottom plug with the three wires purple white and one other color cant remember off the top of my head. Plug with white and pink needed to be cut and spliced to white and pink off the newer style pump in jug. Also you can use one original hole with newer jug but have to drill and tap a new one for other side to mount correctly. Also on the newer motor you need to replace the arm on the newer motor with the arm off the old because the ball on the arm is bigger on the newer one. Keep the water lines with the new jug because it has the wye in it for one line off the pump for the two squirters (old one runs one intake and two seperate lines for each squirter) Make sense? Hope so trying to make understandable without loosing you. Hope this helps someone. Ty Drabbed Out

Drabbed Out

Seven dollars and 10 mins and no electrical tape mind you, I dont think that is very hack job. I don't think you could get one offline enter payment information and wait 5-7 business days for it to show up and beat the so called hack jobery. Just my .2 Ty Drabbed out

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drabbedout,

Don't take this the wrong way, but about two or three minutes at my local parts store (several to choose from) and about $80 gets me an OEM new one.

While I do appreciate the 'hunt' and making do, this just seemed to me to be a bit of a stretch. Especially for a part that is readily available.

OK, maybe you don't have access to parts stores?

Otherwise, you have just guaranteed you WILL be replacing the ww motor again. Probably sooner rather than later.

If it's rubber replace it. If it's electrical, rebuild it.

The caveat to that is that's ONLY if you cannot get a new one.

Drabbed Out

No offense taken.:-D I believe not everyone with a m1009 has an extra 80 dollars and the bonus to my solution is a seperate fluid pump without having to replace the whole oe unit. I had to make a connection off of the original unit and done properly is better than that of a chevy one on the older style unit. After looking and searching here if it didn't have a five ton rating there was nothing on a wiper motor solution, and for the fellas that don't have the expierence or cash or both it is an excellent alternative. If I wasn't fixing all the other parts previously neglected by the po on my 1009 I would have bought a new one but that wasnt in the budget. It was intended to benefit someone else, if it didnt benefit you then it is intended for someone it would. The site is very informative and an excellent resource. I am just trying to offer other solutions to common problems. I respect and and appreciate your point of view. Ty Drabbed out

Milbikes

I had a wiper motor that sounded just like your description. I removed, cleaned, applied dielectric grease to all connection. It got faster, but not enough. I applied a good dose of electrical contact cleaner inside the wiper motor body where the gears are, and then applied some very light lithium grease. Now it runs nice. The wiper squirter had a problem not squirting. I took the little pump unit apart and made a new version of that weird three ring gasket inside. Now it squirts fine too.

91W350

Did you try unplugging the noise reduction wiring and plugging the original harness into the wiper motor? Whatever those three deals are to reduce radio noise, drain about half the energy going to your wiper motor. Makes a huge difference. Glen

DonK

:ditto:
I had a wiper motor that sounded just like your description. I removed, cleaned, applied dielectric grease to all connection. It got faster, but not enough. I applied a good dose of electrical contact cleaner inside the wiper motor body where the gears are, and then applied some very light lithium grease. Now it runs nice. The wiper squirter had a problem not squirting. I took the little pump unit apart and made a new version of that weird three ring gasket inside. Now it squirts fine too.

DokWatson

Did you try unplugging the noise reduction wiring and plugging the original harness into the wiper motor? Whatever those three deals are to reduce radio noise, drain about half the energy going to your wiper motor. Makes a huge difference. Glen
Good advice there... do the same thing with the blower motor. My truck was cold until I took that **** thing off.

camogriz

The wipers are slow on my M1009 and really annoying. I can't wait to try disconnecting that three wire gadget. Thanks for the info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks