• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weight issues...

cidkane

Hey,
I got a "Norwegian M-621 also known as M-35A2 if I'm not mistaken. Anyway I got some problems with the weight on the front axle. Mine weighs about 3200-3300 kg or 7054-7275 pounds. This is to much according to the papers and DMV in Norway. From what I've learned it should only weigh max 6800 empty. Anyone that can help me?

Btw the stock number is 2320-921-5710 if that does any good.

Mike

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With winch, the front axle load could be 6640 (3020 Kg). What about the driver, is it with or without?
Do the M621 trucks have roll-over protection and does the axle with locker weigh more?

...and welcome to the site!

rockman

What do you have in it or on it. A winch adds to the weight as well as any boxes or shelters. Mine weighs close to 15,000 pounds with a winch on the front.

cidkane

It's without driver with winch. It got roll-over protection, and I guess it would weigh more with the locker, but 600? Isn't that a bit much?

And nothing else in it. Emptied it completely and it still weighed way to much.

According to the papers on the truck the total weight on the front axle could be 3150 kg(6944). It's 250 kg(550) to heavy empty. I just can't get it....

jwaller

empty the fuel tank and remove the cable from the winch. that might get you closer.

also try putting some weight at the rear tailgate to pull up on the front end some.

tm america

winch adds 720 to the weight roll over probably adds a couple hundred to the front weight .driver could add 100 to 150 to the weight if you need to get the weight down for inspection id take the cable off the winch throw it in the rear of the bed add as much weight as you can to the rear of the bed as far back as you can .you cant under estimate the power of counter weight

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To help shift weight to the rear, inflate front tires to max or a little better and run the rears on the low side of pressure. Every little bit helps!

maybefixit

Would it help to remove the spare tire? I don't know if the front driveshaft and PTO driveshafts can be removed safely (where the driving flange won't pop out of the drive case) but if so, that might free up some weight. Removing any front hooks from the bumper could be worth 1-2 pounds, and if you have a cabin heater, maybe remove it? Each gallon of coolant is worth 8 pounds. Each gallon of diesel is worth about 6-7 pounds total.

Other than that, I was going to say to remove the front brush covers, but it might be bad to make the mods obvious.

Counterweights in back would be your friend, but I'm not sure about being able to mitigate 550 pounds. That's about a v8 engine's worth of weight. Do you have a hard or soft-top? Do you have wood sides on the bed? Anything between the front and rear axles will split its weight with the rear axles. The winch acts against you since it's in front of the front axle. All of that weight rides on the front axle. It also pushes the bumper further out in front, making it's weight more focused on the front axle.

I know in the US there are often axle weight exemptions for fire trucks and military vehicles, so that the government can do what it wants / needs to do. That might be the case in your area also. Of course, they don't usually extend that to the civilians that buy the trucks from them.

gonorth

How about high TP in the rear fronts, and low TP in the rear rears. I am thinking that this might take load off the rear rears and provide more counter weight. Or will the suspension system ballance out the weight across the two axles?

cidkane

Acctually the coolant was almost empty and the sparetire was off. The diesel tank was full though. Norwegian law demand that a vehicle should be full of gas when weighed.
Anyways thanks for all the tips, I got the car through the check, it's just a bit too heavy. Won't result in any fines if I get pulled over.. I guess I'm just frustrated over not knowing was causes the weight. I really don't have a clue.

The only thing that struck my mind was that the data plates in the car says empty. Could it really mean empty, like no fuel, oil or coolant and so on?

Does your deuces weight match what it says on the data plates?

Is it possible to track the stock number so that I can find out who built it?

Mike

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had my deuce weighed many times, experimenting with shifting the load to the rear with the knuckleboom etc and there have been no surprises.
The M621 uses single 1100-20 tires also, which weigh a little more and do take a look at those locker axles, they are substantially bigger around the differential should be some pictures posted by Recovry4x4 (Kenny) some years ago.
Empty means that fluids are present, just no driver or cargo...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks