• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weight of MEP-002A Gen-Head

joesco

I have been unable to sell my MEP-002A Gen Head, because of the shipping costs. So I am thinking of scraping it. I hate too, but has anyone scrape one of these heads? With the value of scrape copper, I would think it would bring a fair price.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PeterD

IMHO, you will do much better selling it as a generator head (assuming it is in good condition without damage, of course) than you will do selling as scrap. To scrap it, you'd have to cut out all the windings from the iron because if you don't they will only pay mixed metal price for it, and mixed is going to be lower than virtually any other metal price.

I'd suggest Craig's List (CL), eBay or a SteelSoldier's classified advertisement.

As for shipping, weigh it, and go from there. For CL and eBay, you can specify pickup or buyer arranges shipping. For SteelSoldier's I think you should be able to do the same. If it is under (IIRC) 150 lb, you can ship FedEx ground easily. You will pay an overweight surcharge but that's not so bad. I've shipped heavy stuff in the past using my FedEx account and had no problems to speak of. Of course, you can ship motor freight too, just strap or bolt it firmly to a small pallet, or put in a wood box, and you'll be good.

derf

He has a SS ad. His price is fair. The problem is a 5kW 1800 RPM gen head is a rare thing. That is the crossover point where 1800 RPM is better than 3600 RPM. A motor to drive that head at 1800 will be heavy. The 002 is really the only good platform for that head, and it is large and heavy relative to the output.

I think the answer lies with the SS Express. Find a member heading to a rally and get them to take it with them. Guys drive big trucks from all over to the rallies.

Craigslist and ebay with local pickup specified might work, too.

dependable

He might be better off selling it for scrap, if as I recall from past postings, he was not able to get it charging. It is one thing to get an unknown head locally, at a fair price, and not have it work, but if someone pays a lot for shipping and it is fried, that would be bad.

derf

His ad stated a nice, working gen head. Surely it is worth $150 to someone. The logistics of getting it to that someone might be prohibitive, though.

dependable

Would a band of rust, like paint had been cooked off, on a generator head indicate the possibility if a shorted winding? If rest of unit a clean CARC green? Would a generator head with one cooked winding run the service outlet, but not power up a house? I recall this unit and had considered buying it before it was parted out. These are questions I had at the time, and I still do not know the answers. No disrespect intended to OP. Joe seems like a good guy and I remember how frustrated he was and how much he had put into this unit (assuming it is the same one). But this thread brings to mind a chance to learn about generator screening from photos.

derf

A physical inspection and a meter across the output wires could determine the fitness of the unit. I was not aware of the history, only what I read in the classified post.

I would suspect if it got hot enough to burn the paint off the exterior then there would be visible damage to the interior.

storeman

Joe,
Head is 20-25 cents a pound whole here. The gen head is classified as an electric motor unless you retrieve the copper windings and sell them separately as scrap copper. I did it with two of my parts units. Salvaging the copper is a PITA.
Jerry

Last edited:

joesco

Storeman, right on... 228 pounds at $.24 per pound, so the local scrape plant gave me $54.72. I hated to scrape it but it was the last part of the MEP-002A that I had left.

Interesting note... Last year, I purchased the MEP-002A (with a trailer) for $1400.00 and after 135 hours of trying to get the unit operating, plus a rebuilt IP, and a few other parts, but I gave up and threw in the towel. I parted it out and made $2,625.00 for a gross profit of $410.00. Gross profit meaning I did not count my hours invested into the unit. But being a 56 year old retired, physically (and mentally) disabled old guy, I guess I did not ok.

I did keep the MEP skid to use it for my new Yanmar unit which is in my profile picture. Thanks for all the input!

Joe,
Head is 20-25 cents a pound whole here. The gen head is classified as an electric motor unless you retrieve the copper windings and sell them separately as scrap copper. I did it with two of my parts units. Salvaging the copper is a PITA.
Jerry

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks