• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

welding on a Deuce

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I need to weld some brackets to the bed of my deuce. any precautions I should take (disconnect the battery cables etc.)

Jones

Get a clean ground spot close to the work and you'll be fine.
Where one gets into trouble is; frame welds (excess heat may weaken or cause "stress risers"), or around electrical where a bad ground may go through wiring looking for a better path, or close to batteries because of a possible build-up of hydrogen gas. On later stuff with onboard computers and alternator systems, disconnecting the batteries is a must to keep from flashing delicate components (making your very own itty-bitty MPR bursts when the arc starts and stops).

Elwenil

Make sure you ground to the bed if you are welding on the bed. You can run into trouble if you are welding on the bed and put the ground lead on the frame. Sometimes the current will run around the circuit a bit and can go through your bulbs and blow them. Disconnecting the battery normally prevents this.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I always get the ground clamp as close to the weld as possible because I have seen a ground too far away ignite stainless steel brake lines toasting them as soon as the arc was struck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks