• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Went to check out an M108 bed.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So SouthDave told me he found a 108 bed. We went to check it out Thursday. They guy wanted TOO much for it, we decided against purchasing. $1500 for a bed in this condition was too much for me. I did find some spin on filter bases that will work with the lot of 200 I won from GL. I also think I may have found a centerfuge(sp?). I will be trying to talk him out of this air compressor too.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

Yeah, Stretch thought that was funny too. ALL the 108 beds he has seen are yellow. If anyone has info on the Holman compressor, it would be great!

gimpyrobb

I'm sure a 4cyl diesel wil sip fuel much less than the 4cyl gas motor. I'm just worried the cfm will be less. It is a smaller package, but the compressor itself is similar in size. From the searching I have done, this is a vane type compressor, not a screw/supercharger type. Don't know how that will affect the output or longevity.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also found a complete yellow M108 near Cleveland, off of route 20. Went to the door to ask about it and the guy says it's not for sale. I ask about parts off it and he says no. So as I'm walking away, I said, "that was easy enough". Guy comes tearing out the door saying "What!?", and acting like he's going to kick my ass. So I repeat myself, and he heads back inside. Buddy in the car is scrambling for his cell phone to video me getting my ass kicked. Claims he would pull the guy off me after he got tired. Gee thanks....

Thing is, if the guy was a little more friendly, I have parts and a whole lot of knowledge on fixing/operating the M108.

On to gimpy's find...

The crack in the boom on M108 bed looks like a case of full boom out, and using the boom to push down on something. The austin-western cranes have down pressure on the boom, enough to lift the truck up.

The lubriquip is an air powered grease pump. Where the tag is there is a pump inside.

Dennis

gimpyrobb

Problem is, he just sold a 5ton gasser tractor for next to nothing! 500 I think is what he told us. I would have bought it on the spot for 500, 1500 is retarded. Scrap is like MAYBE $800.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure a 4cyl diesel wil sip fuel much less than the 4cyl gas motor. I'm just worried the cfm will be less. It is a smaller package, but the compressor itself is similar in size. From the searching I have done, this is a vane type compressor, not a screw/supercharger type. Don't know how that will affect the output or longevity.

If you can get it, take the diesel and swap it out with your gasser....the vane pump will be lacking in both output and longevity. The vanes will wear out much much faster than the screw compressors, if they aren't worn out already.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't even get the quote right... I gotta do it all.

Tommy: Hey, these MnM's have a thin shell coating.
Richard: Your head has a thick shell coating.
Tommy: Well, YOUR head has a thick...uh...er...SHUTTUP, RICHARD!!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy I'm with you on the 108 bed, that would need every cylinder rechromed and repacked, every hose, major blasting, etc . . . Huge $$$.

Make sure that compressor has parts support before you buy it. Hydrovane is still making compressors, but they don't look like that one.

gimpyrobb

As "special ed" stated, my intention would be to re-power my gas compressor with a known cfm and pressure, but thatnks for the heads-up.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy, What did Buddy Hammond want for his bed? I remember you checking on it the last time you were there. Probably could have got it cheap near the end. I pretty sure he ended up scrapping it as there is nothing left there :-(.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks