• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are these things on the engine manifold?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was by dm22630's place yesterday, and he showed me his new trucks. One he pointed out, he said that it has a LOT more power than the other deuces he has, that he was accelerating up hills, in 5th gear before the end of his driveway, etc. The only difference in that truck vs. the others, were the presence on these devices on the top part of the engine manifold. I hadn't noticed them, and can't find reference to them in any of my manuals.

Looking at my other trucks, I noticed my 1970 M35A2 has the same thing, and though it's been parked a while (brake problems I haven't got around to) I remember earlier this year, I drove it and it had lots of power and speed, well over 60 mph without breaking 2500 rpm.

I didn't have my camera handy to take a photo of either of our trucks, but here's a pic of a truck on GL that has the same thing. What are these parts, and why can't I find them mentioned in the -20?

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cold weather start, intake manifold flame heater.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would this have any affect on warm weather operation, giving added power that trucks without it wouldn't have? Or is it coincidence that our two trucks that both have added boost, have these things?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coincidence, if it was leaking, you would probably experience hydrostatic lock. It would not add enough fuel to add power. It is activated by a momentary toggle switch next to the windshield wiper air valve. Should find operators instructions in the -10 or -20.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most multifuels have the flame heater.The heater in the pic is the old style. The newer style is under a cover on top of the engine.

scooter01922

WARNING: thread hijack.......:twisted: ya know, even thogh my truck already has an ether injection kit installed i wonder if it wouldn't be a prudent move to install a flame heater kit. Seems like a much more engine friendly way to start a cold multi, cause ether is some potent stuff. It can get pretty flippin cold here. Any body got one they want to part with??? Looks like an easy install.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
scooter01922 said:
WARNING: thread hijack.......:twisted: ya know, even thogh my truck already has an ether injection kit installed i wonder if it wouldn't be a prudent move to install a flame heater kit. Seems like a much more engine friendly way to start a cold multi, cause ether is some potent stuff. It can get pretty flippin cold here. Any body got one they want to part with??? Looks like an easy install.
I've got one on a parts engine I'd sell. I have no idea if it works but it looks ok from what you can see. I've got one on my truck that I'm going to remove but it doesn't work for whatever reason.

scooter01922

cool, can ya PM me a guess on the price? Oh and is it the newer style with the cover or?? Anyody have any input on the flame heaters in general, piece of worthless crud....kinda nice....super handy when its cold??? I could always start a new thread.......LOL

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scooter, If you really want to change to a manifold flame heater, I will trade you a manifold flame heater and all the parts for an either start setup. It was working when I removed it last year. Pm me if interested. Sorry to continue the hijack!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
scooter01922 said:
cool, can ya PM me a guess on the price? Oh and is it the newer style with the cover or?? Anyody have any input on the flame heaters in general, piece of worthless crud....kinda nice....super handy when its cold??? I could always start a new thread.......LOL
Sounds like doghead has a better deal than I do :) . If you don't trade with him let me know and I'll get you one.