• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What company made the M101A1 Trailer

MasterChiefSK

I have a 1999 M101A1 2 wheel 3/4 ton trailer. I'm having a hard time getting this registered in florida because the Florida Liquidation Center did not apply for a SF-97 when they bought the trailers from GL. I was unaware of this at the time I bought the trailer.

The tax collectors office ask me who the manufacturer was of the trailer and I have no idea because the name plate data is blank.

Does anyone know who made these trailers. Mine is a 1999 model.

I appreciate anyones input.

MasterChiefSK

Most of my plate data is blank. It shows the NSN as 2330-00-898-6779. The serial number is 4511. Nomen: TRAILER-CARGO-2W-3/4 TON-M101-A1. The rest of the tag is blank.

When Carnac looked up the VIN info in his database and gave me the following info back on 9 April 2011:

24th AG BN DET B PERS SVCS FT STEWART GA
CARGO TRAILER 3/4 TON
MODEL: M101A1
NSN: 2330-00-898-6779
S/N: 4511
REGISTRATION #: NW122H

This is all the information I have.

steelandcanvas

I listed 5 manufacturers of trailers, pick one. Your tax collector just needs to fill in the blanks. It would probably make no difference whatsoever who made your trailer. You would need a CAGE Code to know who actually manufactured your unit.

Ressoldier

If it is an M101A1 it isn't a 1999.
Agree and disagree. The disagree is if it went to rebuild then they will sometimes assign the rebuild date as the new build date and will keep the original nomenclature. Agree because it was originally built much earlier and should keep the same build date. The other option is it could be a frankenstein like mine was and listed as an A2. I have an A1 box, A2 tongue(A-frame) and A2 axle but have the thicker A3 frame. So if they put an A1 box on an A2 frame they might call it an A2.

koolex11

Listen to S&C and just give any manufacturer name. Unfortunately you bought from a dealer who cut a legal corner because he wanted to save $100. This makes me mad because it is bad business and a headache for any buyer. Don't go the Maine registering route. Do it the right way and go through the steps to get a real title from your state. It will be a huge hassle but in the end you will have a title for your trailer.

Ask the company that sold you the trailer to provide an original Invoice from GL, so at least you will have that during your quest. Then ask them to apply for the SF-97 (I think only the original buyer can do this, but maybe a second party can do it) and see what they say.

If they refuse to help you with titling, be sure to report this liquidation company (review on Google, BBB, start a thread here on SS) to warn other potential buyers of this pitfall, and let them know. Maybe it will encourage them to do the right thing in the future.

Best of luck, and sorry for your frustration.

Going through Maine is legal and a right way. You can also get a title if you want from Maine. Why spend almost as much to title it in Fla as the trailer cost you off the lot?

Or register it as a home made trailer.

Fools are easily parted from their money.

koolex11

Now I didn't know you could get a title through Maine. If so then I guess that would be a way to go.

I wasn't saying Maine registration is illegal. It's a solution suitable for some.

I am looking at it from a long-term perspective. If the time ever comes where you want to resell the trailer, the first question out of a buyer's mouth is usually "does it have a title?" and I also know that many states throw up roadblocks when you attempt to transfer an out-of-state title, especially when the seller doesn't reside in the state they hold the title in. Save now, pay later. Plus inflation.

I agree that that a loophole has been breached here and the smart thing would be to save money and still fix the problem by utilizing another loophole. In my experience, though, the problem will re-emerge later in life, unless you plan on taking your toys with you to the grave!

Just trying to help...

koolex11

I always figure in an extra $175 + 45 days for titling (30 for SF97 and 10 from state) when I bid on GL. It's still worth it as long as you get a good price. And it feels better.

I've sold three trailers, all with a bill of sale and never had a problem or complaint. All were informed of the costs for the SF-97 and state costs and given the info on the Maine alternative. You are looking for a problem where none exists.

If paying the .gov more for something "feels better" to you, just send a larger check in on 4/15 and get some goose bumps and make Uncle Sugar happier.

Wolf.Dose

Your Plate says Kaselmwas the manufacturer. So it is, even it is not a registered vehicle manufacturer. For these trailers have been made by any manufacture beeing able to process stamped steel insome way. My M101A1 was made by Case Master Body INC.ö a unknown vehicle manufacturer over here, hoverver, according to the plate, its true. So the same with Kasel.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks