• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WHAT DID I BUY?..WHAT IS IT?..57mm?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Naval Guns are usually classified by Caliber (diameter of the bore), Calibers (length of the barrel described in multiples of the diameter of the bore) and a Model or Reference designation.

For example, the description: USN 16"/50 Mark 7 Mod 0 means that the gun was developed by the Navy of the United States of America, has a bore 16 inches (40.64 cm) in diameter, a barrel length of 16 x 50 inches = 800 inches (20.320 m) long and is the seventh version of the 16 inch gun with no modifications to the original Mark 7 design.

Real guns still exist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsKbwR7WXN4

Too bad nobody ever heard the words in the song
video killed the senses

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too bad nobody ever heard the words in the song
video killed the senses

That was one MASSIVE weapon system and AMAZING feat of engineering and manufacturing!! Hats off to all who worked on, served on, and fought on those incredible ships! Don't believe that there are ANY still "active".....................a shame.

Grimsby

This is what I picked up last month! Sandstone too! It is a 57mm 6pdr from 1917. upper slide from Root and Van Dervort engineering in Ill. Gun from Bridgeport Conn. Breech is frozen, and with diesel fuel and PB Blaster, its slowly freeing up. Barrel is clear! no cement!
I'll be refinishing it after I get the breech open. It will end up in my front yard pointed at the anti-Trump guy!

Attachments

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
alot of these were later used as saluting guns. Do your self a favor, don't mess too much with that breech, the BATF&E consider even at its age and with the lack of suitable casings, a "device of mass destruction" as its breech loading. (no regs really for muzzle loading guns, our outfit has one of each, a Civil War prairie howitzer replica, treated like black powder rifles, BUT our WWII 37mm anti-tank gun, WOOF. Took me two years to keep them from making us destroy an historic gun, they want a hole cut in the chamber the size of the muzzle, THEN they'll show you how to weld a shotgun barrel in to salute with. Didn't happen but the hassle. So our 8 inch M-115 will remain demilled. There is a company here in Ohio, Gillmor Ordnance in Old Fort, Ohio that can probably assist you in casting a mount for the gun, he manufactures all sort of cannon, pieces, parts, ships bells and more. Check him out online. He makes cannon from BB shooters to full 9 pound plus ships guns and field pieces. Works in brass, bronze, aluminum and iron. The pics below are of his 'pirate boat' an ex-32 ft Columbia sailboat he mounts six guns on and the other is a prairie howitzer with a custom Naval Sea Cadet insignia cast into it. He does alot of work for the movies, like "Last Samurai", Gods and Generals, Field of Lost Shoes, the mini series Turned, and more. Does good work reasonable too from what we've (Firelands Military Vehicle Group) have bought from him.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
alot of these were later used as saluting guns. Do your self a favor, don't mess too much with that breech, the BATF&E consider even at its age and with the lack of suitable casings, a "device of mass destruction" as its breech loading. (no regs really for muzzle loading guns, our outfit has one of each, a Civil War prairie howitzer replica, treated like black powder rifles, BUT our WWII 37mm anti-tank gun, WOOF. Took me two years to keep them from making us destroy an historic gun, they want a hole cut in the chamber the size of the muzzle, THEN they'll show you how to weld a shotgun barrel in to salute with. Didn't happen but the hassle. So our 8 inch M-115 will remain demilled. There is a company here in Ohio, Gillmor Ordnance in Old Fort, Ohio that can probably assist you in casting a mount for the gun, he manufactures all sort of cannon, pieces, parts, ships bells and more. Check him out online. He makes cannon from BB shooters to full 9 pound plus ships guns and field pieces. Works in brass, bronze, aluminum and iron. The pics below are of his 'pirate boat' an ex-32 ft Columbia sailboat he mounts six guns on and the other is a prairie howitzer with a custom Naval Sea Cadet insignia cast into it. He does alot of work for the movies, like "Last Samurai", Gods and Generals, Field of Lost Shoes, the mini series Turned, and more. Does good work reasonable too from what we've (Firelands Military Vehicle Group) have bought from him.
Its no joke about the BATF&E. Get smart about the laws, or they WILL shut you down. I read about someone in Texas who almost went to jail, over some old junked tank cannon. Those boys have NO humor.

teletech

Destructive device for sure.
Pro-tip, if you find a destructive device at a yard sale make arrangement to have a sub-caliber barrel welded in so it's .50Cal or less before you take ownership.
That way it is no longer a DD and transfers as a curio and relic rifle. Then later you can file with BATFE for a tax-stamp to restore it to a DD.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks