• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what do I need to do to get a hmmwv 6.2 in a cucv. Tell me if I am forgeting anything

m1garand_man

So I know that a lot of this is covered in other threads and I am fairly familiar with the CUCV configuration of the 6.2l Detroit but not the HMMWV one that I will want to put in my M1009 CUCV to replace my current blown engine.

If you have been following my other threads you have read that I have an internal coolant leak somewhere in the block or possibly water pump and I'm tired of messing with it especially after I thought it was the head gasket(s) that was blown. So I will probably buy a pull out from white owl surplus.

Here's what I know I will have to switch over to the HMMWV 6.2 to get it to work in my M1009 tell me if I'm missing anything.

1. Intake manifold

2. Exhaust manifolds

3. All sensors

4. Vacuum pump (will my vacuum pump just drop in where it belongs on the HMMWV engine or do I have to install the drive gear or other components from the CUCV engine to get it to work? Also can I orientate it to the same position it was in the CUCV engine and still have it work properly?)

5. Injection pump

6. Glow plugs

7. Water pump? (Is it true that the HMMWV one runs in the reverse direction from the CUCV one? Will the CUCV one bolt on?)

8. Pulleys.

9. Tensional dampener? (Dose this need to be changed over?)

10. Studs for power steering pump (How do I get those out of my CUCV heads anyway?)

11. Alternator and bracket (will they bolt on correctly or do I have to modify anything?)

12. Power steering pump and brackets (will this bolt on correctly?)

13. Oil pan (assuming I get an early enough HMMWV engine I'll be fine but what If I get one with a new style casting? will the HMMWV pan clear the suspension parts in the m1009? If not where can I get a pan and dip stick that will work?)

14. Oil pump (assuming that I need to and can put my CUCV pan on the new engine.

15. Oil filter mount (How do you change this over any way or can I leave it in the horizontal HMMWV configuration?)

Am I missing anything else?

Last edited:

DrJekl

You can use the glow plugs. I run HMMWV GPs in my CUCV. I just made some little adapters that allow you to plug into the new style GPs (they have a male stud rather than a blade on the newer plugs).

Isn't the IP is the same on the bottom end? Just swap the 24V deal on top for a CUCV 12V unit (I don't know what that thing is called, your pink wire plugs into it. The fast idle sensor (I think that is what it is called) blots on the side. Not sure if the piece it sits on is the same. I have an older HMMWV IP in my truck now but I don't know if there are differences in units over the years (most likely).

Are the manifolds a direct swap? I wanted to use some of the header type exhaust (after making them usable in the CUCV) but was told that the bolt pattern or exhaust ports are different.

I am interested in the water pump differences as my spares are HMMWV. They look the same at a glance but now I am curious since you pointed it out.

southdave

5. Injection pump

7. Water pump? (Is it true that the HMMWV one runs in the reverse direction from the CUCV one? Will the CUCV one bolt on?)

the horizontal HMMWV configuration?)

Am I missing anything else? [/QUOTE]
I belive it only the serpentine belt version motor
IP I would just swap the solenoids, every thing you need is on your old motor