• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you guys think

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

Some of you may know me from the aberdeen and gilbert shows (i have the M35A2C with the S280 com shelter in the back and seebees markings on the doors)........ Now I love the com shelter as a camper but i have a few gripes with it....... the main one is the fact that i have to haul out the generator and set it on the ground each time i want 120v power..... the second is the lack of any place to carry a second spare tire (yeah i am one of those over prepared guys)......... Now for the last year i have been sitting on some other trucks from the collection i had bought with the intention of keeping a second one....... It just so happens that one of them is an M36 LWB dropside in fairly nice shape (other than being a gasser).....And so i got to thinking-- what if i decided to keep the LWB, drop in a D series motor (which i happen to have as well), and mount my S280 on that........ I figure that way i will have a 5 foot balcony on the back where i can mount the genset. Additionally, there is plenty of frame space to hang a second spare tire carrier as well as a toolbox or two............ What would you guys do?

Ziggy

Towman2277

Sounds like a great idea. I have a 5-Ton bridge truck that i'm about to mount a shelter on, and thats one reason I got the bridge truck, for the added length to mount my generator, and to have space for other accesories. I have already added a second tool box, and I still have enough room for a second spare. Mine is a gasser, and I have access to a multi, but mine runs and pulls soooo well, I just can't bring myself to trade it out for now!! Good luck with it!! :driver:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ziggy, that would be very cool. Mangus told me about your M36 gasser and at the time, wished I could have got it. I'd love to do another gasser/multifuel conversion I had so much fun with the first one I did. Love to see that project, let us know if you decide to task it. Another thought enters the mind, that dead space in beteen te bed rails would make a nice place for the genset fuel supply.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The longbed is the way to go.. you could even put a quiet diesel set and spare tire with small crane/hiost in front of the shelter and have a shorter balcony..

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of you may know me from the aberdeen and gilbert shows (i have the M35A2C with the S280 com shelter in the back and seebees markings on the doors)...
The other day Mangus580 asked me if I knew who you were. I said no. I guess I was wrong, I remember talking to you (and your father?) at Gilbert. I looked over your truck (NICE) and other goods you had. We had a general conversation about nothing special. I Would like to convert a 12' com. shelter into a campinng rig but the need for extra space for a gen set or extra spares has been a thought for me also. The LWB would be a nice for the extra room! 2cents

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now comes the big crunch on M36 sales. Here's one of my thoughts on a cool use of the M36. Remove 17' bed, install tire rack and tool box (like 5 ton tractor), install k-boom, install 12' bed, bob excess frame.

jasonjc

Gee thanks for this post I think the value of my M36A2 just whent up about 200%
:p
I do think your plan is a great one :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks