• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you think??

Boatcarpenter

Found this ad today.
1952 GMC M215 Military Dump Truck, US Army. Started life in Oklahoma and was driven to MA in the late 1970's and stored inside since. Low miles for a 53 year old truck. This truck is rust free and in orig. paint and numbering from the Army, It even has the orig. canvas top that is in exc. shape. This is a 10 whl drive dump truck that even has pwr down on the bed. The orig troop seats and rear top bows are present but the wood is dry. The engine was stuck from sitting so I removed it. Also included in the sale is truck #2. It is a 1956 GMC M2200 that is a cab and chassis only. It is too nice to part out but it was driven where it sits and would be a good donor engine. Between the 2 trucks there is a lifetime supply of parts and tires. You will be hard pressed to find another truck of this age in this condition. The dump will need new seat canvas. I would like to get what I have into it-$2500 buys both trucks!

Good price if as described? Can anyone point me to pictures? Are these the trucks with the auto. trans and the more rounded hood or are they same as the new yellow wrecker in the family?
I sure could use a dump truck around here.
Thanks for any info..

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Below is a website with some pictures of trucks. . . . might answer some of your questions. It's not mine, and I can't remember how I found it. - probably someone on here!

http://www.m201.de/armytrucks/armytrucks.html

There is an M215 and an M220 shown in the 2.5 ton section near the bottom. I believe that the M215 is missing the headache rack (section of bed that goes over the cab top) that is similar to later model dumps.

Also, IIRC, you are correct - these had the hydramatic auto trans.

One last pic below. This is a truck that was for sale on ebay in louisville ky awhile back. I saved the picture because I thought it was absolutely bee-a-utiful. It was advertised as a 1952 GMC M215.

Jeff

Attachments

FSBruva

From what I am reading here, the M215 was based on the M211, but had a shorter wheelbase. The dump is 2.5 yards, with a double floor. The dump sits on the subframe that also acts as the hydraulic reservoir. A single hoist actuated the dump, and controls were in the cab.

There is no M2200 truck, but there is an M220, which is a van body version of the M211.

The auto tranny has 4 speeds F and 2 R, with a gear reduction unit, resulting in 8F/2R. In each range (high/low) there is a provision for hilly or level driving.

If you need more info, let me know.

Matt